Portraits, any camera, any color, any subject

i-bb42LPc-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My high school senior Jake needed a headshot for a college scholarship application. Of course the application deadline was 40 minutes away and I needed to provide electronic tax documents as well.
My new to me quick rig - 28" collapsible beauty dish with a Godox V1 with a wall in his room as a backdrop. The small dish is a wonder to maneuver but isn't the softest. I boosted shadows a tad and added frequency separation in post(Jake needs to hydrate more regularly).
jake.headshot.jpg

Several years ago I went to a local ā€˜Art in the Parkā€™ show. In addition to enjoying the day I wanted to practice taking a quick portrait. I asked her for a picā€” Iā€™m sure youā€™re familiar with her look of horror. She was obviously not in thee mood, but being more polite than assertive she yielded- with a grumpy look. I suggested she try a hat from the millinerā€™s stall where we were standing. She grabbed the hat shown and looked at me with a look of, ā€œNow what?ā€
ā€œBe playful.ā€
She looked at me oddly then started making funny faces and odd noises with her grand daughter. They really had a terrific time giggling and laughing. When she stood up I took this only frame. They appreciated my offer of a free copy with my thanks.
Thereā€™s a moral here- props work!!!

599F0A53-67A3-40B7-A641-FE87DDDADB98.jpeg

We were complete strangers.

Back