Portraits, any camera, any color, any subject

Superb shots, Lyle. The 1.8/75 is my favourite lens. There are few with such a perfect bokeh.
Thanks, Walter! I don't use the 75mm enough, but I get good results when I do. The top 2 images used the 75-300mm. At full resolution, the detail and bokeh improvements with the 75mm are obvious, and I was ale to lower the ISO 2 EV, so the noise is lower, too.

Last edited:
From 2006, with my first serious digital camera, the Olympus E300, at my mother's 90th birthday party. She was lively and dancing and certainly did not seem 90. But she started to decline about 3 years later and died about 2 weeks shy of her 99th birthday. A fun loving and loving lady who loved to dance (She'd drive 50 miles to a USO dance during WWII) and not merely tolerant but fully accepting of people's differences. I miss her still.
P3112272 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Available light portrait of my wife at her desk.

View attachment 307609
From 8+ years ago, using my first mirrorless ILC (Pen E-PL5) and the kit lens. One of several photos from that year which helped me decide that the smaller sensor could be more than good enough for my needs.
Good enough indeed, and then some. It is a very nice portrait.

Thank you, Larry! It probably helped that I recently reprocessed it using my current tools and workflow.
Reprocessing is OK. The file is just raw information we can handle it how we want. I reprocessed the shot of my mother from 2006 also. What I'd done to it in 2006 now seems to me unspeakably awful. I've gotten better in Photoshop, and probably my ideas of what I want have changed too.

Reprocessing is OK. The file is just raw information we can handle it how we want. I reprocessed the shot of my mother from 2006 also. What I'd done to it in 2006 now seems to me unspeakably awful. I've gotten better in Photoshop, and probably my ideas of what I want have changed too.
And the RAW demosaicing algorithms have got much better. ISO 3200 shots from my E-1 which were unusable from Photoshop CS2 are usable with CS6, and very presentable using CC2019.

Back