Portraits made with Fuji X-Series Cameras with Off-camera Lighting

ean10775

All-Pro
Name
Eric
One of the apparent advantages of the X-Series cameras is the leaf shutter that allows flash sync to much higher shutter speeds than many other cameras (correction, just the X100 it seems?). I enjoy shooting headshots for local actors/actresses and businesses on occasion, as well as portraits of friends and family. While I currently use a 5DII and several older m43 cameras for my portrait photography, I'd love to see what members of this community who use off-camera flash with their X-Series cameras have produced and also what their thoughts are in using X-Series cameras for this type of photography (advantages, limitations, frustrations, etc.)

Ah, I would love to help but my particular X has a sync of 160. I've done some 1 and 2 light setups with the camera and flashes on M and it has worked just fine.

Ah, I would love to help but my particular X has a sync of 160. I've done some 1 and 2 light setups with the camera and flashes on M and it has worked just fine.

My mistake. I thought all the X-Series cameras were capable of higher sync speeds but it looks like its just the X100, yes? Still, I'd love to see some images with off camera flash from any of the Fuji cameras.

Don't forget about the X10! ;) I took this on a pretty bright and sunny afternoon, using two bare speedlights. I could have easily gone even darker with the ambient light, but I wanted that dark blue to bleed through.
View attachment 9719

EDIT: In hindsight, I would have done a few things differently... I had just gotten my X10 that same week and was still getting accustomed to it's quirks. I should have shot it at 12mp, as DR400 gets disabled when using the hotshoe. I remember wanting to keep recycle times a bit snappy, so I shot at ISO 250, now I would probably keep it at ISO100 as I normally do.

For you pros that use artificial lighting, do y'all have any recommendations for a good resource so that a noob can start to learn the art of using artificial lighting (i.e. me)? Thanks!!

I had a photo shoot today and used the Flash Wave III TX trigger with my Olympus FL-36R flash + Gary Fong Lightsphere.

This shot was a test shot, and as you can see, the light intensity was too much, yet I still like her expression, so decided to keep it.

8488310002_7b7169b064_z.jpg

Georgia by Taz Spin, on Flickr

Manual controlling the intensity was a pain (forgot to bring my light meter..), but overall I got some pleasing shots tonight!

Dr. B.

Hello All,
I have attached a studio portrait done with the x10.
JH
6521492807_7311ea8458.jpg

^Great detail on a very nice portrait! May I ask what triggering system you use? I have Cybersyncs myself and want to make sure there wouldn't be any problems using them with the Fuji cameras (though I can't imagine why there would be)

Back