Film Portraits of Your FILM Gear

Just bought this; Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16 with all the trimmings and in almost mint condition.
Zeiss Super Ikonta 532-16-2.jpg
Zeiss Super Ikonta 532-16-3.jpg
Zeiss Super Ikonta 532-16.jpg

I know it's getting a bit obsessive, but I just though I'd do a portrait of the three medium format cameras I use at the moment - because I really love them all for their respective merits:
full.jpg

The Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 is a 6x9 format folder from the early fifties. It's exceedingly simple:, a slow (f/6.3) Novar Anastigmat triplet lens, a Gauthier Vario shutter (1/25s, 1/75s, 1/200s - and B), a fold-away viewfinder (no rangefinder). But it's actually really sturdy, and it's lots of fun to shoot, even though this involves a lot of guesswork. I usually carry a little Voigtländer accessory rangefinder and an old Zeiss light meter to get within an acceptable range of error. The camera fits into jacket pockets without fuss, and it's surprisingly handy and straigtforward in use. Be warned: Those crazy old folders can be quite addictive once you start using them! Luckily, I was able to stop myself from going a lot further ...

Not a lot of new things to say about the Mamiya 6 MF. It's nothing short of fantastic. Realistically, probably the best camera I own, bar none. Care and attention in use are rewarded with great results. In spite of its specs, this isn't a casual shooter's camera - if only because it offers so much more in terms of quality if you take your time with it.

The new kid on the block, in more than one sense: the Lomo LC-A 120. Ultra-wide lens (21mm equivalent at f/4.5), automatic shutter, zone focussing ... It looks a bit like a toy, but it takes quality images. A prime street shooter - in most respects, everything the Mamiya 6 isn't, in good and in bad terms. But crucially, even more slick in use than the Nettar ...

M.

Well, I can hardly object to that, can I :)

If you're able to scan the negatives (or of course, develop and print yourself!), MF is very rewarding!

If I recall right, you're in the States - so if you're really interested, take a look at Certo6.com: This guy is a fantastic resource all by himself, and only the fact that he solely deals via eBay (which I don't use) has prevented me buying something off him. He's into folders - he does CLA and all kinds of repairs, and has a fantastic reputation (you can check oud Ted Forbes' ("The Art of Photography") take on his own folder on YouTube - he got it from Jurgen).

Of course, the used market is very interesting - but the best cameras are hard to come by. I got my Mamiya 6 MF from JapanCameraHunter.com (Bellamy Hunt - another wonderful guy to deal with). But since you have access to the biggest market in the world, you might not need his services.

btw. I may actually get an upgrade for my Nettar next week - I'll check it out on Monday. If it works out, I'll have a more reliable, more flexible shutter and a better lens (a Tessar) ... But the old lady stays. For 25 quid, it's unbeatable value and fun.

M.

Can't resist:
full.jpg

big bro: Zeiss Ikon Nettar 516/2, Carl Zeiss Tessar 10,5cm f/4.5, Compur shutter
lil' sis: Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2, Novar Anastigmat 105mm f/6,3, Vario shutter

As simple as they get (no rangefinder) - but a real joy to shoot.

M.

Beautiful camera and lo and behold ... a Seiko Dive Master, one of my favorite watches. I've got the same model; it's build like a tank, almost indestructible and I really don't mind if it catches some scratches here and there.

Family Heirloom... Yashica Minister III
P1000472-Edit-Edit_zpstzprdl3i.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Ken. Cameras and watches are my two passions. Love both the minister and seiko equally... And YES I agree, these seiko dive watches are built like tanks.

Beautiful camera and lo and behold ... a Seiko Dive Master, one of my favorite watches. I've got the same model; it's build like a tank, almost indestructible and I really don't mind if it catches some scratches here and there.

Finally got a new medium format camera after selling my Mamiya M645 1000s. I'll need to take it's portrait now!

Nikkor wide for the Bronica - big bit of glass. Bronica still playing up though. Need to spend some quality time with the manual.

P5210041.jpg

I've just bought 2 new "backs", so I can always have 3 types of filme ready to shoot: BW (HP5+ or FP4), Portra and Ektar:
P6040147-XL.jpg

And an FG :)
P6040157-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back