Film Portraits of Your FILM Gear

And this the Rangefinder I picked up:

22555441799_8252ab300f_b.jpg

Yashica Electro 35 GSN
by Ztryfe, on Flickr

These Yashicas seem to be a hit or miss affair, having a slew of mechanical / electrical problems, on mine the shutter and metering are good and no Pad of Death syndrome (simple but labor intensive repair), the light seals needed to be reworked and the rangefinder adjusted, I've now completed those fixes and currently going trough my first test roll, will post once I got them developed, if things add up, this one will shot mainly Black and White film.

*Hopefully* I wont buy another film camera, my wife already raised her left eyebrow to dangerous "I dont quite agree with that" levels, upon seeing the Electro arrive.

I acquired this Canonet QL17 GIII for very little, because it was filthy and the owner said they didn't know if it worked. I gave it a good cleaning and replaced the light seals, and I'm currently running a roll of Agfa Vista 200 Plus through it. I haven't tested the meter, so I'm using it purely manual right now. There appears to be a spot of fungus in the lens, as well as some other tiny spots that may be fungus, but might just be dust. After this roll is through, I'm going to disassemble the lens and see if I can clean it.

TT

GIII.JPG

Just arrived on my doorstep yesterday. "Honestly honey, it just followed me home!" :D Interesting camera from the year before I was born. This one is in good shape for a nearly 60 year old camera, but could stand for a bit of cleaning. Another inexpensive camera to experiment with for a while.

TT

Petri28.JPG

Just arrived on my doorstep yesterday. "Honestly honey, it just followed me home!" :D Interesting camera from the year before I was born. This one is in good shape for a nearly 60 year old camera, but could stand for a bit of cleaning. Another inexpensive camera to experiment with for a while.

TT

60 year old? Looks like a solid mid 30's ;)

Beware of cameras following you home, they tend to bring their friends and acquaintances over.

I have a K1000 but haven't used it in a long time. Focussing instead on Olympus & Nikon film kit & lenses. Recently acquired an old 200/f4 Super-Takumar and marvelled at its build quality (particularly the jet-black finish & knurling on the focus-ring). Started trawling the web for more - picked up this Spotmatic & 55/1.8 + a 135/3.5.

P1140216.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now on the lookout for a couple of wides ... probably the 28/3.5 & 35/2.

Also tracking K-01 prices to shoot these with an m42/k adaptor.

GAS is a terribly slippery slope . . .

I have a K1000 but haven't used it in a long time. Focussing instead on Olympus & Nikon film kit & lenses. Recently acquired an old 200/f4 Super-Takumar and marvelled at its build quality (particularly the jet-black finish & knurling on the focus-ring). Started trawling the web for more - picked up this Spotmatic & 55/1.8 + a 135/3.5.

That 55/1.8 Takumar is a great lens, here is one from many years ago taken with it wide open, Tri-X pushed to 1600

tumblr_npynzbcWik1uyvs4ho2_1280.jpg

-Thomas

A couple of years ago I was given a Minolta XG-7 that was in excellent physical condition, but the film advance seemed to be locked, and the shutter wouldn't work, even with an exchange of batteries. On the shelf it went as a display piece. A couple of days ago, I decided to try a brand new set of Varta P76 cells. Bing! The camera sprang to life, and everything seems to work fine. The Rokkor 45/2 arrived today, and is in mint condition. Camera is now loaded with Kodak Gold 200, just in time for family Christmas gatherings over the next couple of days.

TT

DSC07454.jpg

This is one of my favourite cameras of all times. I haven't run a roll of film through it in more than 5 years... Yesterday I popped in a fresh battery and voila — the meter still works, the viewfinder is bright and clear and the focusing patch is very visible. I have loaded it with a roll of Agfa Vista 100, we'll see how it goes...

23877561940_8ca26d09a0_b.jpg
Canonet QL17 GIII
by Pavel Urusov, on Flickr

I got a good deal on this OM-1 on eBay because it was in need of some TLC. I spent a fair bit of time yesterday afternoon replacing the light seals and the mirror bumpers. The lens was listed by KEH as "ugly", but I've found nothing wrong with it other than some wear on the lens barrel, even examining it under magnification with a strong light. We're ready for some film now.

TT

OM-1.JPG

New acquisition - Bronica EC - was really hoping to snag an S2 but this was so cheap I couldn't resist . . .

P3172208.jpg

P3172221.jpg

P3172224.jpg

P3172228.jpg

Considered a poor mans Hasselblad, its much chunkier and heavier than I thought it would be. Build quality, fit and finish is pretty impressive too (although the leatherette is starting to peel in places).

Looking forward to running some film through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back