Fuji Possible bug in firmware on X-E3 - More like glitch

sesser

Regular
Name
randy
I was out shooting some pics this morning whilst walking the Landshark at a local park/garden. I had my tripod and a 6-stop ND so I decided to make use of them. I had taken one photo without the ND filter which turned out to be 0.6s at f16. I then put the ND filter on the lens, and fired off a shot (20s @ f16). After the 20 second exposure, I looked at the results on the back of the camera and it was displaying in portrait orientation (instead of landscape like it was captured). The first shot was fine. There are two images from the session that have this problem (incorrect orientation) and both are long exposures.

Annnnd, now that I am remembering the sequence of events for these pictures, I'm realizing that I picked up the tripod and camera before the camera was finished "processing" the long exposure. I doubt the firmware is writing the incorrect values it detects during the shot, so what I think is happening is that the metadata about the image is not written until AFTER the camera has processed the image (or, at least sometime after the actual exposure is captured). At least the fix is easy... don't be impatient. ;)

Anyone else run into this on their Fuji bodies?

Fujifilm: "Our cameras are precisely designed for patient people only. Our cameras force you to think before you press the shutter, so that you don't have to doubt and review every photo after it's captured. You think, you wait and you don't disappoint."

I was shooting RAW+JPG and both files exhibited this "feature." I haven't tried duplicating just yet, but I'm fairly certain that moving the camera after the exposure (probably during the noise reduction phase where the camera takes an equal time, black exposure) was the issue. I will eventually, but there were other long exposures in this series that where correct in their orientation.

That is where I was going with my questions. My dad ran into something similar with his X-T2. And the noise reduction phase was the culprit. And he shoots jpg 99% of the time. Where I shoot raw 99% of the time and have NR turned off. So when a long exposure shot is finished, the camera is ready to be moved or shoot again.

Back