Micro 4/3 Possible upgrade to Olympus M5 Mkiii

HI.

I have a second hand M5 Mkii, which I picked up last year for a reasonable price, and love the size and weight for when I want to carry lighter gear.

Currently the M5 Mkiii is on sale here in NZ, and I'm thinking of upgrading. Just wondering who has upgraded, and what your thoughts are. Does it use the same battery as the Mkiii?

I have a tax rebate, and saw the sale mentioned on a Fb group.

Many thanks
Rose

Last edited:
HI.

I have a second hand M5 Mkii, which I picked up last year for a reasonable price, and love the size and weight for when I want to carry lighter gear.

Currently the M5 Mkiii is on sale here in NZ, and I'm thinking of upgrading. Just wondering who has upgraded, and what your thoughts are. Does it use the same battery as the Mkiii?

I have a tax rebate, and saw the sale mentioned on a Fb group.

Many thanks
Rose
Oops! On my tablet and put too many letters in! Have edited it.

It's the M5 Mkii that I have. Actually it's the tablets autocorrect that put the third I in! Just did it again, but I was taking more notice!

Currently the M5 Mkiii is on sale here in NZ, and I'm thinking of upgrading. Just wondering who has upgraded, and what your thoughts are.
Some people have upgraded to the E-M5 III then reverted back to the E-M5 II just because of that metal vs plastic feel. I don't mind the plastic as the rigidity is similar to gripping the plastic handle of a screwdriver. I like the fact that it's lighter 414g vs 469g of the E-M5 II. It has PDAF, 4K, etc., if you need them.
Does it use the same battery as the Mkiii?
It uses the BLS-50 which is smaller than the BLN-1 found in the E-M5 II but Olympus claims that the number of shots is the same because of battery technology.

By the way, the E-M5 III is NZD400 off at Photo Warehouse.

I felt the upgrade was significant. Better resolution, better IBIS, phase-detect AF. I think the noise is a little lower too, but I don't fret about noise a lot (I use DxO Deep-Prime NR).

I don't mind the plastic body feel. I like the less weight that comes with it, and knowing the textured finish on the body won't be peeling off in hot and humid locales. Like Timo, I find the grip rigidity to be solid.

Except . . . I don't trust the tripod mount. I don't use the camera's mount with heavy lenses and I don't over-tighten.

I had some power switch problems in cold/wet with my E-M5 mark 2; none so far with the mark 3.

When I travel with 2 bodies, I like them to use the same battery. With my E-M5ii, it was the E-P5. With the mark 3, I found a good deal on a second body, so I have two, as well as my old E-PL5. I don't notice a big difference in battery life, but I always carry at least one spare.

I am not crazy about the EVF in either version, but at least I can wear my polarized shades with the mark 3's OLED unit.

Last edited:
Oops! On my tablet and put too many letters in! Have edited it.

It's the M5 Mkii that I have. Actually it's the tablets autocorrect that put the third I in! Just did it again, but I was taking more notice!
Laughing with you, Rose, not at you ... :) .

Of course, I've never done anything like that myself ... :rofl: .

Rose I've both, actually all 3!
I prefer the 3 over the 2 but I don't mind either.
The focus seems snappier and more reliable on the 3.

The plastic body doesn't even rate a concern for me. If you think it's plastic (which it is, well not that really but plastic by my thoughts) then you'll probably live with it forever being plastic!
Following the comments early on re tripod use and it breaking I just don't put it on a tripod.

The viewfinder is different and I'd prefer the 2 over the 3 but it's not a real issue, just different.

I'd suggest a second battery. Mine lasts well but if you're out all day and run it down only half I'm not sure if constant charging from half is good? I'm old school and was told not but that have been old wives tale (are you allowed to say that these days?) and also different battery types.

If money is burning hole in your pocket then I'd recommend but even if not it's still a very worthy camera and they're discounting them here too so there's a saving to be made.

Thanks everyone.

The plastic feel to the body won't be an issue for me, and I rarely use a tripod these days, and also rarely have anything bigger than the 12 - 40 on it. I have had the 100 - 400 briefly on it, but tend to use the M1 Mkii for that lens.

I do enjoy LE every now and then though, so will use the M1 Mkii for that.

Yes I usually get a second battery for my cameras. for day outings.

While the money is not burning a hole, it seems like s sensible purchase, given that I am nearing retirement, and won't have the purchasing power in the future. I see it as a kind future proofing, and I've enjoyed having two cameras which use the same lens mount. I keep the 12 - 40 on the M5 and the 12 - 100 on the other, unless I'm shooting with a specific purpose, or playing with a legacy or prime lens, and I find it very convenient.

Fine to have a giggle John, the auto correct on my tablet is always catching me out, so I tend to try only write emails and messages to forums on the laptop or PC!

Yes I see Photo Warehouse has it on special, with a $150 card present, but not sure what that means. Do I have to spend it there, or can I get the money back as cash or spend it say, or groceries?

Thanks everyone.

The plastic feel to the body won't be an issue for me, and I rarely use a tripod these days, and also rarely have anything bigger than the 12 - 40 on it. I have had the 100 - 400 briefly on it, but tend to use the M1 Mkii for that lens.

I do enjoy LE every now and then though, so will use the M1 Mkii for that.

Yes I usually get a second battery for my cameras. for day outings.

While the money is not burning a hole, it seems like s sensible purchase, given that I am nearing retirement, and won't have the purchasing power in the future. I see it as a kind future proofing, and I've enjoyed having two cameras which use the same lens mount. I keep the 12 - 40 on the M5 and the 12 - 100 on the other, unless I'm shooting with a specific purpose, or playing with a legacy or prime lens, and I find it very convenient.

Fine to have a giggle John, the auto correct on my tablet is always catching me out, so I tend to try only write emails and messages to forums on the laptop or PC!

Yes I see Photo Warehouse has it on special, with a $150 card present, but not sure what that means. Do I have to spend it there, or can I get the money back as cash or spend it say, or groceries?
Rose I can't answer for your end, but here, in past, you get a gift card to spend, but at their store.
I'm not sure if you can instantly claim it.

Mine I couldn't and had to spend it later. Only thing with that I had to be careful I wasn't then having to buy freight in that too. I bought enough to make it freight free, but it was$500 card not poultry $100 or 150 they're offering now
Edit. I just "bought an EM5 3" (but didn't sign out) and it offered Buy this camera between 1 and 30 June 2022, and receive a $150 Prepaid Visa Card via online redemption. T&C's apply.
So if it's a prepaid Visa I gather it's for anything.
Wow. Buy an EM1 X and get $1000

Rose I can't answer for your end, but here, in past, you get a gift card to spend, but at their store.
I'm not sure if you can instantly claim it.

Mine I couldn't and had to spend it later. Only thing with that I had to be careful I wasn't then having to buy freight in that too. I bought enough to make it freight free, but it was$500 card not poultry $100 or 150 they're offering now
Edit. I just "bought an EM5 3" (but didn't sign out) and it offered Buy this camera between 1 and 30 June 2022, and receive a $150 Prepaid Visa Card via online redemption. T&C's apply.
So if it's a prepaid Visa I gather it's for anything.
Wow. Buy an EM1 X and get $1000

Buying Olympus in NZ seems to be a bit of an issue for reasons I'm not cognizant with. I know when I first started looking at Olympus Harvey Norman had some listed so I went into the local store and the guy there said they didn't stock them for "political reasons", but wouldn't give an explanation. He is a very Panasonic person and promotes them, and uses himself.

Anyway I've ordered, and just waiting for them to send me bank account details so I can pay them. The tax rebate went into an account that I don't use much, and it's not a visa account.

Buying Olympus in NZ seems to be a bit of an issue for reasons I'm not cognizant with. I know when I first started looking at Olympus Harvey Norman had some listed so I went into the local store and the guy there said they didn't stock them for "political reasons", but wouldn't give an explanation. He is a very Panasonic person and promotes them, and uses himself.

Anyway I've ordered, and just waiting for them to send me bank account details so I can pay them. The tax rebate went into an account that I don't use much, and it's not a visa account.
Have you tried buying from Olympus Oz Rose?

Perhaps contact them and see if they will do that deal for you.

Rose I've both, actually all 3!
I prefer the 3 over the 2 but I don't mind either.
The focus seems snappier and more reliable on the 3.

The plastic body doesn't even rate a concern for me. If you think it's plastic (which it is, well not that really but plastic by my thoughts) then you'll probably live with it forever being plastic!
Following the comments early on re tripod use and it breaking I just don't put it on a tripod.

The viewfinder is different and I'd prefer the 2 over the 3 but it's not a real issue, just different.

I'd suggest a second battery. Mine lasts well but if you're out all day and run it down only half I'm not sure if constant charging from half is good? I'm old school and was told not but that have been old wives tale (are you allowed to say that these days?) and also different battery types.
True of many battery types, Richard, but lithium ion batteries can be charged safely from any point. Just don't allow them to go totally flat, and don't leave them in the charger after fully charging them (potentially dangerous, specifically with some after-market chargers).
If money is burning hole in your pocket then I'd recommend but even if not it's still a very worthy camera and they're discounting them here too so there's a saving to be made.

Have you tried buying from Olympus Oz Rose?

Perhaps contact them and see if they will do that deal for you.

I found an older invoice from last year with their bank account, so I've now paid. Hopefully hear back early next week that it's on it's way.

It seems as though a lot more places are carrying Olympus now. Part of the problem is where I live is a few hours from the places that carny Olympus and I usually like to hold the camera in my hands before buying. I ended up with Panasonic G9 because of that, but ti was just a fraction big for my hands and I ended up buying the second hand M1 Mk2 via the Internet. Was the right decision though. It's size suits me much better, and I sold the G9 on.

Rose, Olympus gear is readily available in New Zealand through the major photographic retailers such as Photo Warehouse, Auckland Camera Centre and Photogear.

Before buying new gear I would recommend using one of the price comparison websites (PriceSpy or PriceMe) to check availability and compare prices.

www.pricespy.co.nz
www.priceme.co.nz

Robin

Yes I have since discovered that, but it is having the opportunity to actually Feel the gear in your hands before buying, which was a major for me. Now that I have actually used the gear upgrading and buying gear unseen isn't the issue that it was. When I changed to m4/3rds I did a lot of reading and was pretty convinced that that the M1 Mk2 was right for my needs, and the size of my hands. Using the Panasonic for a few months just confirmed that. I would have had to drive to Wellington or Auckland to actually handle one though.

I always check those sites when I am buying, but I also had to take into account this time the Visa options ....

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the time.

Rose, Olympus gear is readily available in New Zealand through the major photographic retailers such as Photo Warehouse, Auckland Camera Centre and Photogear.

Before buying new gear I would recommend using one of the price comparison websites (PriceSpy or PriceMe) to check availability and compare prices.

www.pricespy.co.nz
www.priceme.co.nz

Robin

I found an older invoice from last year with their bank account, so I've now paid. Hopefully hear back early next week that it's on it's way.

It seems as though a lot more places are carrying Olympus now. Part of the problem is where I live is a few hours from the places that carny Olympus and I usually like to hold the camera in my hands before buying. I ended up with Panasonic G9 because of that, but ti was just a fraction big for my hands and I ended up buying the second hand M1 Mk2 via the Internet. Was the right decision though. It's size suits me much better, and I sold the G9 on.
I have both the OM DM5 iii and the G9...both have their plus and minus issues. I love the G9 for shooting landscapes and wildlife as the EVF is much nicer than the Olympus. The OM is fine but not as nice. Both cameras are durable and if you are concerned with weight the OM 5 iii is the winner. Ergonomics to me through go to the G9. You really can"t go wrong with one or the other. They just are different.

www.pricespy.co.nz
www.priceme.co.nz

Robin

Thanks. Sorry I never replied earlier.

Yes I use those sites to check prices, but being mindful about warranty etc as some vendors apparently are not reliable in that respect. However, so far I have never had an issue.

Back