Challenge! Post an image of yours related to the one above it!

DSCF0058-C1 1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cruz Bay St. John USVI March 2022

View attachment 347924
Wow does that bring back memories!

I spent three years living and working on those rocks. The bay with all the sailboats is Great Cruz bay. The small bay to the right is often referred to as Cruz Bay as well and is where the Ferries to St. Thomas or the BVIs arrive and depart from. St Thomas is the larger island in the distance from about mid photo to the right. The two small islands from mid photo (Island with rainbow) and to the left are the recently made famous islands owned by now deceased Jeffrey Epstein, where he kept his stable of underage girls. Just beyond the ridge of the dominant hill pictured here on the right side of Great Cruz Bay, over on St Thomas, is the St Thomas Yacht Club. We'd often sail over to that island with the rainbow from the yacht club and drop anchor off a beach they call Christmas Cove. In fact, occasionally we would take the dingy ashore and have lunch on the beach, completely oblivious to the shenanigans going on there.

For the better part of three years I took the ferry from St Thomas to St John every monday thru friday to build homes on St John's north shore, over by Peter Bay. We also built a few homes in the gated community on the east end of St Thomas at Water Point (just to the right of that dominant hill) and on the north shore of St Thomas over by Magens Bay. One September 11th tuesday morning in 2001 we were on a remote jobsite near Magens with just a transistor radio. As the news broke we made our way to my neighborhood beach bar on the south side of St Thomas at Bolongo Bay. A little place called IGGies. Impossible to forget that day. That bar was pretty much wiped out by two hurricanes a couple of years back but has since been rebuilt. I could tell stories for hours about those rocks, it was a life experience for sure. But island fever is real. After awhile there's only so much 85 degrees and Jimmy Buffet one can take. Every so often though I get an inkling to hop on a plane and grab a cold one at my old barstool on the beach.

Back