Nikon Showcase Post Nikon Df Photos

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
While the Nikon Df is not strictly a compact camera it is smaller than the D4 and the D800. Nevertheless, there seems to be some interest in this new camera on this site, and at least two of us (perhaps more) have begun using it. Also Armanius has encouraged the beginning of a thread like this. So here is a thread for posting pictures taken with the Df. There are some already over in the Df is beautiful thread as well.

The first two exhibit the feature in which the Df excels, high ISO. Both are at 12,800. Click on the first photo to see better the stars from the constellation Orion.

WRA_0372.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WRA_0322.jpg

WRA_0261.jpg

I'm very tempted. All the samples I've seen over at GetDPI have been quite compelling. I also like the idea that it is only 16mpx - which makes a helluva lot more sense that 36mpx unless you are very sure about your technique or want to go back to using tripods.

LouisB

While I love my Dƒ, posting any shots from here would violate my own personal "Serious Compact" policy....:)

Why? For a full frame DSLR its pretty compact, no? I actually saw a video review in the last couple of days and it looked surprisingly small in the hand of he reviewer and he didn't strike me as a big guy... We've talked about DSLRs here before...

-Ray

Agree! Keep 'm coming!
Why? For a full frame DSLR its pretty compact, no? I actually saw a video review in the last couple of days and it looked surprisingly small in the hand of he reviewer and he didn't strike me as a big guy... We've talked about DSLRs here before...

-Ray

These won't show off the potential of the Df (or maybe it does, I don't know), but here are a few taken with the kit 50mm lens on a recent forest walk. The RAW files seem easy to work with in terms of getting the matte B&W look that I prefer. But there's still a lot of experimenting to do to refine the recipe.

11460258493_1963622de8_o.jpg

11460248213_1a165eee54_o.jpg

11460172066_a0a189f5e8_o.jpg

-Ray

Ray,
Yes it's compact for a full frame but doesn't fit my personal definition - see my signature block And I personally shy away from the DSLR talk....Nothing personal, just my own perspective, that's all...:)

A casual walk in the woods this morning produced some shots that I will soon share. But for now I want to share two things I learned about this camera this morning. The first may be something that all quality cameras do, but I have never noticed it because I seldom shoot other cameras on the monochrome setting. When the camera is set to monochrome and the quality is set to RAW and JPEG the Raw file is full color and the JPEG B&W. Therefore, for my purposes I can keep it set to monochrome all the time and get all I want.

The second discovery is more exciting and it is the first time I have see it on a camera (though high end Nikons and Canons may all have it for all I know). When the camera is set to Auto ISO the maximum ISO is set in the menu, and the minimum can then be set on the ISO dial on top. But there is more! The the minimum shutter speed can be set from 1 second to 1/2000 second. But there is more. The minimum shutter speed may be set to Auto which defaults to the reciprocal of the focal length being used. But there is more. When the minimum shutter speed is set to Auto you can then adjust the minimum to a slower or faster auto than the default reciprocal of focal length. So if you think you are not steady enough for the traditional reciprocal of focal length (e.g. a 250mm lens would go by default to 1/250th of a second) you can adjust the auto setting up or down. So in the example I just gave if you set it higher it would go to twice the reciprocal (i.e. 1/500). This is such a great feature! Or to use a more normal example, if you are using a 50mm lens the default auto minimum shutter setting would be 1/50th but when you bump the setting up one notch it becomes 1/100th. That is so cool.

Back