Post your Africa Pictures Here

This is my Afrika, this is my home. This is Cape Town - the city that nestles at the base of Table Mountain at the bottom tip of the African continent. Taken this morning

View attachment 314361
I love that photo. Whenever I see a photo of one of the roundabouts on Adderley St / Heerengracht, I am reminded of a story my father told me.....

My father was standing on the side of the road waiting for the cars to stop at the lights to allow pedestrians to cross. One car stopped at the lights. The following car didn't. There was a very noisy nose-to-tail crash. All four doors of the car in front opened. Out jumped four cops. There were two locals standing behind my father. One turned to the other and remarked "En toe! Kyk hoe slaat vir daai maaster die jekpot!" :LOL:

It is difficult to translate that into English, while still maintaining the full meaning, but a very loose translation would be "And so! Look at how that 'gentleman' has hit the jackpot!"

Cape Town - just off Greenmarket Square

ALL_FUJA8553 Walk in town.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ALL_FUJA8555 Walk in town.jpg

A walk to the Dias Cross

On top of a headland at Kwaaihoek in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa is a replica of the cross erected by the Portuguese navigator Bartholomew Dias to mark the furthest extent of his voyage around the southern tip of Africa. (Dias Cross Memorial - Wikipedia). As children, we had a Boxing Day tradition of walking along the beach and crossing the sand dunes from the Bushmans River Mouth to visit the cross. In November 2012, I returned to South Africa for a high school reunion. While visiting an uncle of mine in Kenton-on-Sea, I revisited our Boxing Day walk.....

51324691462_55286b9fd8_o.jpg

The white mark towards the top of the headland is the replica of the cross:

51325428606_d64dc9f795_o.jpg

51324692097_20b44623bf_o.jpg

51325629768_ee62acc425_o.jpg

You will notice from the photograph above, that all the metal plaques on and around the cross have been removed. This is one of them. - Taken on 26 December 1985 and scanned from slide:

Tray19 (8).jpg

Last edited:
The propensity for people to hoard things in Africa can be endless. Let's go back to 1984 when a young @rayvonn had to sit in the back of this car on a journey from basically the edge of the Congo border all the way to Mombasa....and then back. Without an exhaust which cracked and fell off. Those of you with a knowledge of vehicles will know what that sounds like. Imagine my shock on a recent visit going on 40 years later to see the same car in my uncle's garage. It's unusable, should have been thrown away decades ago, but no it still sits there doing nothing. Abandoned but at the same time not abandoned. All fairly typical and it does make you laugh.
Africa.jpg

The propensity for people to hoard things in Africa can be endless. Let's go back to 1984 when a young @rayvonn had to sit in the back of this car on a journey from basically the edge of the Congo border all the way to Mombasa....and then back. Without an exhaust which cracked and fell off. Those of you with a knowledge of vehicles will know what that sounds like. Imagine my shock on a recent visit going on 40 years later to see the same car in my uncle's garage. It's unusable, should have been thrown away decades ago, but no it still sits there doing nothing. Abandoned but at the same time not abandoned. All fairly typical and it does make you laugh.
View attachment 402916
That sounds about right :) But I guess you haven't looked at the cars that people keep for years in America? All the "barn finds" that the restoration guys get so excited about - literally acres of land full of rusting cars

That sounds about right :) But I guess you haven't looked at the cars that people keep for years in America? All the "barn finds" that the restoration guys get so excited about - literally acres of land full of rusting cars
I love that, old Beetles and Pontiacs in country areas but not really that visible to me in the cities though which was a disappointment.

Back