PP Comparison

AndyMcD

Top Veteran
Jul 15, 2017
East Midlands, UK
Two pictures, one processed in LR and Silver Efex, and the other just processed in LR.

1)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I prefer #2 but would be interested to see what others think.

donlaw

Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Don
Took only one look to pick #2. The shadows work much better. Silver Efex is still very nice. Haven't sprung for the update yet, but am tempted.

Last edited:

Richard

Top Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
While I generally prefer the second image, I like the halo effect around the tree in the first image, which is less apparent in the second.

-R

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I have mixed feelings and would have processed the image with a little lighter foreground, so more as in version 1 which as it stands gives the impression of a ground frost but with the sky of version 2. The heavy vignetting of the sky in version 1 leaves me with the impression of poor burning in of the sky.

Barrie

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheshire, England
Martin Connolly
While #1 is perhaps overcooked (vignetting in the sky), I prefer the grass in that one. You don’t say which one is the Silver Efex version....
Interestingly, when I did a b/w printing course with Permajet, we looked at various conversion methods, and Silver Efex was definitely the one most liked. I must admit I’ve been tending towards just using the new LR profiles recently, but if I had to do a competition print I’d still start with trying Silver Efex.

AndyMcD

Top Veteran
Jul 15, 2017
East Midlands, UK
Sorry, meant to reply to this sooner. #1 is Silver Efex and #2 is just LR.
I have had a few complaints previously about halos - interesting that some people like that, but most people don't. I think I could have got the foreground in #2 to look like #1, but #2 is actually how I wanted it to look - it was the shadow that attracted me to it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom