PP Comparison

AndyMcD

All-Pro
Two pictures, one processed in LR and Silver Efex, and the other just processed in LR.

1)
DSCF0787-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)
DSCF0788.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I prefer #2 but would be interested to see what others think.

Took only one look to pick #2. The shadows work much better. Silver Efex is still very nice. Haven't sprung for the update yet, but am tempted.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings and would have processed the image with a little lighter foreground, so more as in version 1 which as it stands gives the impression of a ground frost but with the sky of version 2. The heavy vignetting of the sky in version 1 leaves me with the impression of poor burning in of the sky.

Barrie

While #1 is perhaps overcooked (vignetting in the sky), I prefer the grass in that one. You don’t say which one is the Silver Efex version....
Interestingly, when I did a b/w printing course with Permajet, we looked at various conversion methods, and Silver Efex was definitely the one most liked. I must admit I’ve been tending towards just using the new LR profiles recently, but if I had to do a competition print I’d still start with trying Silver Efex.

Sorry, meant to reply to this sooner. #1 is Silver Efex and #2 is just LR.
I have had a few complaints previously about halos - interesting that some people like that, but most people don't. I think I could have got the foreground in #2 to look like #1, but #2 is actually how I wanted it to look - it was the shadow that attracted me to it.

Back