Leica Pre-loved MM

Peter Klein

Regular
Name
Peter Klein
A friend of mine is selling his MM (original version Monochrom) to upgrade to the M246. Good price, a bit less than what they go for on the well-known auction site. I think we're both happy not to have to deal with shipping and an unknown person on the other end. I'm going to check it out tonight. Unless I see evidence of sensor delamination, I'm going to happily join the cult. I'm sure Brian will approve. :)

I'm an M8 shooter since 2007, and shot film Leicas for several (ahem) decades before that, so I mostly know the drill. Is there anything special I should look out for re. the MM?

Any first-time tips for the MM newbie? In particular, what do people set the exposure compensation to to avoid hitting the blown highlight "ceiling" inadvertently? As a reference, I usually keep my M8 on -0.3, and may go down to -0.7 or lower with bright sunny reflections.

As the villain says in the bad spy movie: "I've waited a long time for this."

--Peter

Treat it like a film camera loaded with Black and White for filters, I use the Y52 Nikon filter on the 10.5cm F2.5, Orange filter on the Sonnars, and Red- when i want dramatic skies. Red filters: I dial in a +2/3 ev as the "electric eye" (exposure meter) sees things a bit differently than the CCD.

I like Lightroom.

I also like the Sandisk 8GByte, 4x SD cards for a clean image. I get very good results at ISO10000 and ISO5000. "My other camera is a Df"- just for comparison.

And whatever you do: Do not point your friend to the Erwin Puts review of the M246. In all fairness- Erwin Puts uses lighting for all of his tests that are going to favor a CCD with a 14-bit image.

Thanks, Brian! When you say 4x, is that the same thing as Class 4, or 4 MB/sec?, or is 4x using a different scale? Right now I have:

- Several old 2 GB Sandisk Extreme III cards, speed unmarked, that I suspect are Class 6 (plain SD)
- An old Sandisk Ultra II that is Class 4, and distinctly slower than the above (plain SD)
- A couple of Sandisk Extreme 4 GB cards marked Class 10 / 30 MB/sec (SDHC). Thse are what I've been using in my M8 recently.
- A Transcend 4GB Class 10 (SDHC).

A class 10 / UHS 3 32GB Transcend card is dedicated to my Olympus OM-D E-M5, which would I'm sure be overkill on the MM. It downloads to the computer *very* fast.

So what's best to use that I now have? And if you could point me to the cards you currently use, I'm sure I can pick them up somewhere. Is this what you use?
SanDisk 8GB Class 4 SD Card - Walmart.com

Thanks!
--Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes- "Class 4"- I would try the Ultra II first.

The Sandisk "SDHC" 8GByte "Class 4" (little circle with a 4 in it) cards that I use were ~$8. I do not trust Transcend: one "fried" in my M9. I will double check and post the type.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FM5E1EY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found them- and bought some more. I also learned that putting way too many pictures on a huge SD card is like "all your eggs in one basket".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back