Pre-Orders are open for Luminar 2018

Best Photo Editing Software for Mac - Picture Editing Apps | Macphun

If you already own Luminar, either the first or second version, theres a significant reduction in cost. If you don't, its still a heck of a lot cheaper than waiting til the pre-order period is over (in 14 days from the date of this post).

I have completely replaced photoshop with this (when I am editing on computer, rather than iPad) and I also own all the other Macphun products. Digital Asset Management will be coming to Luminar in 2018, which will bring it closer to Lightroom standards. As it is, I find it more intuitive than Lightroom which I also own. Another nice touch is that this version will accept Photoshop plugins. Nik and Topaz yay!

For USD$39 you cant go wrong. Mac and Windows.

what sold me on the upgrade is that even with the previous Mac-only license, you now get 5 cross-platform licenses with the new version (Mac&PC)...

Hopefully that will replace Photoshop & Nik-Plugins for me in the long run. (Since a lot of the Nik developers apparently went to work for MacPhun. (I know that DXO just bought the old Nik-Suite - but I'm not a fan of DXO's software, so I'm not putting too much hope into that :) ))

Yep, upgrade ordered... the biggest thing I have to do in order to ditch Lightroom is to re-create presets. (I use PS about once a year!) The X-Equals B/W presets are great, and there are some Fuji X presets that I like too. I just need to spend some time on it. However I'm also furiously trying to get all my photo libraries in order on the family iMac, as we are getting a new Macbook Pro to replace it after nearly 10 years of service, so time is limited.

I've pre-ordered for $69AU. I got a discount because I purchased (and returned) Aurora.
If it's as good as promised I night ditch Adobe CC at last. I mainly use On1 Photo RAW 2018 atm.

I can't remember the last time I bought some photo software. I think I'm in. Gotta go watch some videos and think about whether I will use the new tools or if they will just sit on my computer unused.

While you're all at it, those of you with Macs need to also look at the Creative Kit which I dont think is available for Windows. Plugins which work with the usual suspects and also inside Luminar and AuroraHD. These are what I began with and realised that they worked perfectly well as standalones.

Thanks Sue, I had not really given the software much thought. But, I never warmed up to Lightroom and won't pay Adobe for a subscription. I migrated from Aperture to Apple Photos which is finally improving. Looks like this works as a plugin to Photos, if so then I am in for the preorder.

I'm a Windows user and I'm on the Luminar Beta. Not convinced this is the replacement for my current setup which is LR standalone plus legacy Nik. The effects aren't growing on me I guess. I looked up some of the more common operations I do for exporting - resize and apply an easy watermark, not there.

I'm a Windows user and I'm on the Luminar Beta. Not convinced this is the replacement for my current setup which is LR standalone plus legacy Nik. The effects aren't growing on me I guess. I looked up some of the more common operations I do for exporting - resize and apply an easy watermark, not there.

Unless there is no transform tool... I'm sure resizing must be possible even in the Beta. Luminar2018 will bring more. This is what it looks like in the mac version, the tool is off at the right, a rectangle with dots at its corners. I've never looked for a way to watermark but I'm sure it must be doable. Have you asked the devs?

screenshot_34.png

I've pre-ordered for $69AU. I got a discount because I purchased (and returned) Aurora.
If it's as good as promised I night ditch Adobe CC at last. I mainly use On1 Photo RAW 2018 atm.

I wanted to keep using On1, but having paid for it 3 times now (versions 8, 9 and 10) I felt disinclined to do it again, especially since I find that since v10 the layout has become really clunky. I'm on a macbook most of the time and having the image area so reduced by the move of tools to left and right (I like them in a top menu bar) is just a royal PITA. I deactivated 10 and have 9 on board, but still tend to use Photos with Luminar, AuroraHDR2018 and the Macphun Creative kit. If the DAM in Luminar is any good, I'll likely switch for good.

Thanks Sue. With your screenshots I did find the crop tool. I should be more clear, I set up an Export profile in LR that takes whatever the photo might be, makes it 1200px on the long side, keeps the file size under 250KB for reasonable web viewing/loading and applies a selected copyright in the color of my choice on the lower left. And I can specify one file or however many files I can show on the Light table bar in LR, and it will process all of them.

I see these functions are available on the Mac version, but the Windows Beta appears to be somewhat limited. For example, I don't even have a File menu to drop down on where I could do something similar to the LR Export. I'll have to keep looking!

I did take a long look at the various "Compare" charts on the maker's site. What struck me as interesting (and perhaps a bit worrying) is something as simple as Rotate/Flip is available under Luminar 2018 for Mac, but "Coming Soon" for Windows. ??? I'm really impressed by the cool features like LUT, light source changes, etc.

I did take a long look at the various "Compare" charts on the maker's site. What struck me as interesting (and perhaps a bit worrying) is something as simple as Rotate/Flip is available under Luminar 2018 for Mac, but "Coming Soon" for Windows. ??? I'm really impressed by the cool features like LUT, light source changes, etc.

Remember that this began life as a Mac app, 2-3 years ago. Porting it to Windows, for Mac devs, must be a bit difficult, they would have had to bring in Windows devs and then wait til they got up to speed with how MacPhun works. REally, be patient, as we Mac users have had to be over the years with things that began life in Windows. Coming soon means that sometime in 2018, it will happen. I've been waiting for a digital asset management module for ages. Its coming in 2018.

Back