Price comparison of full “pro” kits

Even if I were paid to take photographs, I would never buy that many lenses that overlapped their usefulness. But then I'm the guy that is fine with one camera battery when I see people buying 5 batteries. I guess everyone is different.

If price were the only concern to build a collection collection of lenses, I would have put my top 3 as Pentax, m43, Nikon....without looking. I may make some adjustments for small steps down in speed in exchange for price (maybe some f2.0 instead of f1.4, depending on focal length, price difference, etc.)

I too, do not see the need for some of the overlap. Although, I guess it depends on what one is shooting. For me, from my time shooting weddings, the money would be spent on duplicates for backup purposes. 2 16mm's, 2 56mm's, 2 90mm's, 3-4 bodies, and so on. That said, I liked how the article laid out the most popular "high end" lenses from each company for price comparison. One can build a very very good kit in Pentax, m43, and Fuji for several thousand dollars less than SoCaNikon.

That was an internal "cringe-worthy" moment for me because I subconsciously have suppressed how much it cost me to rebuild in Fuji from Nikon APS-C. :D

"Exercise the shutter more." That's all I can do to salve my conscience.

The most interesting thing I personally found out between kits was that available 2nd-hand Leica M glass wasn't too different from an available 2nd-hand Fuji X kit.

And this is mainly because Fuji X glass you can't always get used where as there is an abundance of Leica/CV/Zeiss/7a lenses used and new. So you have these comparisons, Fuji 14mm or Zeiss ZM 21, comparable in price and the Fuji comes up seldomly in F/S posts. Or Fuji 50mm vs Leica 75. There is some difference for Fuji's benefit but the difference is suddenly so small that you think to yourself, why not go with the "better" glass.

Even if I were paid to take photographs, I would never buy that many lenses that overlapped their usefulness. But then I'm the guy that is fine with one camera battery when I see people buying 5 batteries. I guess everyone is different.....
Actually if you're getting paid to take photos than you HAVE to have that many overlaps and or duplicates. I went with the trio of f/4 zooms and the 24-70mm plus 70-200mm f/2.8. I also often had a 35mm f/2 for the f/2 and close focus as well as an 85mm f/1.8 for the f/1.8.

But then I also had a Tenba large Roadie to carry it all to events.

I think one of the things about used Fuji X kit is that it's made in smaller volumes compared to the big Trio. The other is that I find folks tend to hold onto the Red Badge and certain primes more. Result: hard to find in the second hand market for certain models. In all the time since I completely cut over to the system, I never saw a used 50-140 in good condition or better and maybe I saw one or two 16-55s. As a result, I had to pick them both up new, which hurt, but also reinforced that this was a system people valued.

Back