Print BIG! (a reminder! - again!)

Gubrz

O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad
Name
Eliot
its been awhile since i printed and spazzed about how much i love getting my shots back in a physical medium....

so ive been going mental over gear lately - trying to narrow my options DOWN, not add to (shocking reversal, i know!) - and stumbled onto an email from mpix.com for 50% off large prints.. decided LETS DOOOOOO EEEEEEEET!!!! and picked out 3 shots i hadnt printed yet, and thought id go bigger than normal for me.

_DSF5413.jpg

_DSF5412.jpg

_DSF5411.jpg

i left junk in the shots for scale reference

WOW! i love them! the urban scene is crazy HUGE feeling and makes me want to throw everything out of a room, put a table in the middle with honey mint green tea and gluten free raw food snacks on a fancy platter, and have an exhibition!

lol!

so... go sign up for some print websites newsletters.. and get some coupons.. and go print something! i had decided i was going to print one HUGE print per month. i think ill revise that to 3 medium prints per month instead... that 24/36 shot is ginormous and i have nowhere to actually hang it.. so its going to be flat stored, lol. but im glad i did it still!

stop reading forums
go pick out one of your shots you love
go print it BIG

DO IT!
OBEY!
*hypnotic spinning spiraling eyes at you!*

:D

love you guys!

I've done a couple of big prints and if I had a room to use like a gallery I might do it from time to time. But I don't even have room for more than a half dozen or so 12x18" prints that I rotate through the couple parts of the house where I have wall space to play with. They're sort of cool, but ultimately if it's a good photography, it'll work well in a mid-size print too. And most of my printed work is printed in occasional books where the largest print is about 11 x 7 or 8. And, frankly, when I open those up, they're plenty big because I'm viewing them from a pretty close distance, on my lap or a table or desk or something.

So, good idea Eliot, but one I can't really work in more than once in a great while. Or less...

But hey, enjoy the raw food snacks!

-Ray

well, i have nowhere to put these, lol... theyll be flat stored, lol

i more meant.. PRINT! but bigger than like a lil 4/6 :D

Just ordered a 16x12 print from a 3mp camera - I expect it to be too big

one problem is getting the ratios right for the frames available - especially if you want square the options are much more limited

Frame size is archaic & nonsensical

I always fret over whether the colour will be right (which is why I bought this particular monitor where I have a better chance of getting it right...) but you are right. Hard copy is good. I've never printed larger than A4, and I almost bought myself an A3 printer but the cost of that vs the number of times I will print.. well... just didnt work for me so I never did, and I've never printed bigger as a result. I should send away for something, the print shops in this town are very expensive per print. Apparently theres a few decent printshops in Melbourne that have online businesses. Must look into it.

I've never printed anything bigger than an 8x10. But I'd like to.
i think ill stick to 18" on the long side from now on, unless im ACTUALLY going to hang it up in a frame or somehting. lol!
Good stuff. I doubt that I'll be printing that large again. Maybe 11x13, tops. Meanwhile... tell us about the bike that goes with that Arai helmet!
lol. pics were taken in a buddies officel brought them over to show him and deliver the oil field print as a gift) thats his helmet. he does instruction on race tracks and did racing for CMRA the last few years. he dragged me into motorcyces for about 2.5 years, but im SO not a thrill junky, so it didnt stick :)
At work we have an A0 Canon printer...may need to speak nice to my manager!!! LOL
"yeah.. see... if you dont print often enuf, the printer will clog up... i brought a file tho we can print to check it for quality... " heheheheh
Just ordered a 16x12 print from a 3mp camera - I expect it to be too big

one problem is getting the ratios right for the frames available - especially if you want square the options are much more limited

Frame size is archaic & nonsensical
ugh, yes... the ratios drive me insane! thankfully im usually ok with cropping a bit off the top and bottom or sides without feeling like im losing anything vital
Never having printed anything before... you've inspired me to give it a go. Thanks!
i think youll be pleasantly surprsed!
I always fret over whether the colour will be right (which is why I bought this particular monitor where I have a better chance of getting it right...) but you are right. Hard copy is good. I've never printed larger than A4, and I almost bought myself an A3 printer but the cost of that vs the number of times I will print.. well... just didnt work for me so I never did, and I've never printed bigger as a result. I should send away for something, the print shops in this town are very expensive per print. Apparently theres a few decent printshops in Melbourne that have online businesses. Must look into it.
yeah, i took a look online at printers, and after hours of research hadnly narrowed it down to the one i should buy, so i decided that was just hiding myself in options, as per my usual, and closed all my browser tabs and deleted printer bookmarks, and just went for the online order! lol

plus itll prolly actually SAVE me money, since if i had my own printer, id print EVERYTHING, and be spending a fortune on ink... lol

I have a pretty darn nice color (colour for the proper English spellers/speakers) photo printer that I bought with the intention of printing more of my photos. The couple times I have printed, they look great. Frankly, they look good enough that I suspect someone else shot them. But I need to print more. My wife and I are moving into a new house this weekend and my wife has whined (whinged on the other side of the Atlantic....why can't you people just give up and adopt "our" language....LOL) about how we don't have any art to hang on the walls and how depressing our new house will be.

The bottom line is that we spend precious little time going around this little orbit and if we spend most of it grumbling about how our cameras are not good enough and not looking at the results that show they are MORE than good enough, it really just shows us how stupid we are. And we can't all be stupid, right?

p.s. - watch soon for a challenge to have YOUR processing skills hanging on MY walls

I have a pretty darn nice color (colour for the proper English spellers/speakers) photo printer that I bought with the intention of printing more of my photos. The couple times I have printed, they look great. Frankly, they look good enough that I suspect someone else shot them. But I need to print more. My wife and I are moving into a new house this weekend and my wife has whined (whinged on the other side of the Atlantic....why can't you people just give up and adopt "our" language....LOL) about how we don't have any art to hang on the walls and how depressing our new house will be.

The bottom line is that we spend precious little time going around this little orbit and if we spend most of it grumbling about how our cameras are not good enough and not looking at the results that show they are MORE than good enough, it really just shows us how stupid we are. And we can't all be stupid, right?

p.s. - watch soon for a challenge to have YOUR processing skills hanging on MY walls

... have you been watching Downton Abbey....? :D hehehehe

shes hinting that she loves and adores yer photography and wants to go frame shopping for them to adorn(adourn? adhorn? adorgn? adhourgn? lol) the walls of your new palace!!!

"luke.... photograph me like one of your french girls..."

heheheheh

I'm quite fond of printing 40" canvasses. The short sides are usually a choice of either 30" or 20". They cost in the order of about $AUS70-100 delivered (on sale which happens frequently), and of course due to their substantial size there is a limit (practical AND aesthetic) to how many you can fit in an apartment :)

IMG_6608-PR_zps5f22e76d.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm quite fond of printing 40" canvasses. The short sides are usually a choice of either 30" or 20". They cost in the order of about $AUS70-100 delivered (on sale which happens frequently), and of course due to their substantial size there is a limit (practical AND aesthetic) to how many you can fit in an apartment :)

IMG_6608-PR_zps5f22e76d.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

patch them all together into faux wallpaper
:D

... OMG YER HAIR! :D
is that a leaf pendant? do i need a leaf pendant?! *dashes to amazon*

It was somewhat bouffant when this photo was taken. I think that the pendant was meant to be some kind of stylised variation of a Celtic Cross, but ends up looking not a whole lot like an actual Celtic Cross.

collected 16x12 today paid £6.00 will mount over weekend

not as good as I hoped for but not as bad as I was expecting

The print guy is a professional photographer - does prints 24x36 for £29.00 - not sure if quality will be on a par with Redcliff - I'll have to compare sometime but at least he is local

whined (whinged on the other side of the Atlantic....why can't you people just give up and adopt "our" language.

Ah, you have failed to appreciate, Cousin Jonathan, that one can both whine and whinge, in whatever country one likes

Back