Sony Problem editing RX100 images

Phil

Rookie
Hello everyone,

I have just been on holiday and used my RX100 to take pictures. I took some with the camera rotated to portrait. When I view the images on the camera with the camera in normal position, ie landscape, the images show the correct way up, that is the camera auto rotates the image to save keep turning the camera. When I view the image in Photoshop and Fastone the images show correctly, ie as you would want to view them (auto rotated), when I put them into an email they are on their side ie they need rotating. In Fastone it says it is a read only file and I can't rotate it, (I was thinking if I rotated in in Fastone so it looked like it was on its side then it would appear the right way up in the email). I managed to do it in PS by rotating 90deg clockwise and the 90deg ccw and it worked but surely there is a setting somewhere I need to change.
If I view the images in Microsoft Office Picture Manage, the ones I took with the camera on its side are showing in their original form ie; non rotated. I can rotate them in that software but when I click to save it says they are "read only" and I have to "save as" something else.

With my old cameras, Canon Ixus 800 and Lumix G3 I could view the images in Fastone and the ones that were showing as being "on their side" I would click them all holding down CTRL and then rotate the lot, they would then be saved in the new orientation.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Any ideas?

P

I'm not certain that I fully understand your query, but I'd suggest experimenting with the Playback Display setting on Playback menu Page 2 (page 152 of the User Manual refers).

Hope this helps.:)

Have you tried right clicking on the file then select properties, uncheck Read Only (if checked) then click Apply, then ok your way out. Possibly protect function is set on the camera making photo Read Only.

I'm not certain that I fully understand your query, but I'd suggest experimenting with the Playback Display setting on Playback menu Page 2 (page 152 of the User Manual refers).

Hope this helps.:)

Basically when I take a portrait style shot by rotating the camera 90 degrees, lets say of a person standing, when I view the image in Fastone Viewer it show the image with the person standing, if I put the image into another document like Word it is on its side, showing the person "lying down". When I try to rotate the image it tells me it is read only. All other cameras I have had show the image on its side and I have been able to rotate and save with no issue.

Hope this clarifies.

P:)

Basically when I take a portrait style shot by rotating the camera 90 degrees, lets say of a person standing, when I view the image in Fastone Viewer it show the image with the person standing, if I put the image into another document like Word it is on its side, showing the person "lying down". When I try to rotate the image it tells me it is read only. All other cameras I have had show the image on its side and I have been able to rotate and save with no issue.

Hope this clarifies.

P:)

I use Faststone Viewer (very good), and it I presume that it reads the orientation data in the files, because my experience matches yours i.e. the image is rotated automatically for a shot taken in portrait. However, I suspect that Word (and most other non-image-specific applications) would not be equipped with the ability to do this.

Regarding the "read only" problem, I think that chilliman's suggestions (above) might be worth trying.

Thanks everyone, I have practically sorted it. I changed the USB mode from MTP to Mass Storage and that has removed the read only function

Job done.

Thanks
:2thumbs:

Back