Fuji Problem for the next X100 iteration.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
We started with just the name X100 and for the (S)econd model Fuji chose X100S. In the same vein the (T)hird and (F)ourth models were the X100T and the X100F.
Assuming there will be a (F)ifth model it can't be another X100F and the (S)sixth and (S)eventh models will be problematic too.

I suspect Fuji will use Roman numerals as the X100V, X100VI etc.

What do you think and what feature(s) would you want in the V? :dance2:

- Weather sealing (!!!!!!!!... Dammit Fuji, people have been asking for this since the original X100, just get it done!)
- Usb-c charging instead of micro usb

And less important:
- ... Well if I'm dreaming, a 36x16mm pano sensor that can be cropped to regular 24x16mm aps-c, like a fixed-lens, digital Fuji TX1 / Hasselblad Xpan
- I wouldnt be opposed to a tilting screen. And no, they dont make much difference in reliability, the things hardly ever break even on cameras used roughly.

There are rumors of the name x200 floating around. But they are rumors at best.

Other than that, it will be interesting to see if there is a x100 model before the X-Pro3.

Features wise, I’d like to see AF performance equal to the current at the time XPro and XT bodies. The ability to use the digital TC with raw files. Dual card slots. And weather sealing.

I have had every iteration of the X100 from the first to the current. I like them a lot for what they are, and they have become more usable and capable as they have evolved.

I have said this many times before, but I think it bears repeating.

Evolution not revolution.

If I wanted a flippy screen, a touchscreen, etc I would buy a Sony* or a Panasonic. I buy a Fuji because I like a Fuji. It does not have those things, nor does it need them to sell. I DO NOT WANT ALL CAMERAS TO BE THE SAME. Choice is a good thing.

The only changes I would like to see in the next evolutionary iteration are largely under the bonnet and address the shortcomings of the new functionality introduced in the F.

- Raw with the digital zoom (as per Ricoh GR)
- Film simulation bracketing with the digital zoom

Weatherproofing would be nice, but then I have an X-Pro2 already so I'm not that bothered.

The name? A rose by any other...

*For anyone hoping to catch me out through pedantry, yes, it's true I have indeed just bought a Sony RX100 with a flippy (though not touch) screen. I will forgive it and do the sensible thing - firmly tape the bugger down.

You mean like the choice to leave the tilting screen flush with the camera body? ;-)

That's not a choice, that's an option. ;) The choice is to be able to buy a camera without unwanted "features". It's a bit like saying when you buy a car you get a caravan too. You never have to use it, but it's yours and it's included in the price. You will have to take care of it, find somewhere to park it, keep it clean, protect it from damage... You never wanted it, you just wanted a car, but all cars come with a caravan now, so tough...

I suspect that if they were to make two new X100 cameras that were identical in every way except that one had a tilting screen and one didn't, that sales of the tilty version would soundly outsell that of the fixed screen.

I also don't think that changing the screen from a fixed one to a tilty one fundamentally changes the camera at all. Actually, it more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Here's a question for you @Lightmancer , if Fuji gave us a camera with one of your new requested features, but added a tilty screen, would you buy it or pass?

Does anyone know if the difference in resolution between the rear screen of the X-Pro2 and X-T2 is a comprise which has to made because of the ability to tilt/swivel? Or is it a choice made by Fuji to offer different features to different types of shooters?

Here's a question for you @Lightmancer , if Fuji gave us a camera with one of your new requested features, but added a tilty screen, would you buy it or pass?

Tilty I would consider, especially if I could rotate it through 180 degrees and get rid of it altogether or, as I am doing with the Sony, taping it firmly down. I just resent paying the price and the compromise.

Touch I would run a mile...

Tilty I would consider, especially if I could rotate it through 180 degrees and get rid of it altogether

I'm with you on this 100%. Let me rotate that rascal all the way so I never even need to look at a screen. Never needed screens back in the old days. So if someone sees it closed, they'll assume it is a proper film camera.

I might pay an extra $100 for NO rear screen.

Back