Nikon Problem with 10-30 on Nikon 1 V1

NightBird

Regular
Name
Darren
I am having an issue with my 10-30mm kit on a V1. It seems to be related to a loose connection or faulty on / off button on the lens. I haven't found too much online except one comment pointing to the possible lens issue causing this.

When I pick up or move the camera, it turns on automatically (not from sleep, but from off). If I remove the lens, the camera won't turn on by itself when picked up or bumped.

To date I have cleaned the contacts, however I'm not sure about anything else I can try. I'm thinking of buying the 18.5mm (which I have been wanting to do anyway). I would feel better knowing its not an issue with the camera first.

Cheers,

Now and again i get, Check lens notice. A bit of a wiggle and thats it. So far no problems and very happy with this camera.
Your issue Does appear to be lens related. Any chance you could test another lens ?

I think I'll try taking it in to a local store. I imagine they wouldn't decline such a simple request.

I haven't used it much for a while, though do respect it's fantastic autofocus, reliable white balance and predictable Nikon colours from the jpgs. I think it's generally an underestimated camera by many, due largly to its less than class leading higher ISO performance, and unnecessary gimmickry. I'd much rather have it working for less frequent use, than sitting in a bag with no use.

Bang for buck, at around $300 when I picked it up, it was fantastic value. (Not including the now buggy lens)

Update...

It was the lens. Ordered the 18.5mm 1.8 just to keep the camera useable.... Got home, hit the 10-30 hard a few times and knocked it about roughly in frustration. It now functions normally again.

Sweet.

Awesome! Reminds me of the Russian astronaut in the movie Armageddon.

"This is how we do it in Russia!!!"

And proceeds to beat the space shuttle's components with a wrench. And fixes the shuttle thereby saving everyone's lives.

Back