Fuji Problem with X100 s

ricks

Top Veteran
When using the camera in manual mode, if I change the aperture from 5.6 to 8 the viewfinder, screen and eye, flickers back and forth between the two brightness levels. It seems to expose correctly but the flicker is disconcerting. I hope it is not the beginning of something worse. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When using the camera in manual mode, if I change the aperture from 5.6 to 8 the viewfinder, screen and eye, flickers back and forth between the two brightness levels. It seems to expose correctly but the flicker is disconcerting. I hope it is not the beginning of something worse. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What happens if you use it in other modes, such as aperture priority? Does the problem persist? Or if you employ other settings (film simulation, ISO, etc.)?

I must confess, for the past 4 years+, I have never used anything but manual. I had to look in the instructions how to set aperture priority. I couldn't notice the effect in that mode, but it did not seem to relate to manually changing the aperture. I think the problem might be one of bad contacts, but am not sure if that is possible. Thanks for your response.

I must confess, for the past 4 years+, I have never used anything but manual. I had to look in the instructions how to set aperture priority. I couldn't notice the effect in that mode, but it did not seem to relate to manually changing the aperture. I think the problem might be one of bad contacts, but am not sure if that is possible. Thanks for your response.
It might be worthwhile to try some different things -- aperture priority being one, auto-everything being another, shutter priority being yet another -- and seeing if the anomaly you noticed or any others appear there. At least it would help narrow down the circumstances under which the problem exists. For aperture priority, put shutter dial on auto and the aperture on whatever you like. For shutter priority, set shutter speed to whatever you like and leave aperture on auto (to test at a particular aperture, change the shutter speed until you get there), and for program put both aperture and shutter on auto. Then make a bunch of pictures and see if the problem appears. If not, then go back to manual and see if it returns.

Can't hurt!

Here's a thought. Clean your battery terminals too. I had a similar problem years ago with a flickering display on a Ricoh. I took it to a local repairer who smiled knowingly, took it into the back of the shop and returned two minutes later having done just that. It's worth a try!

Thanks depscribe. I tried some other modes, but I seemed to overexpose too much in the high contrast images. I feel uneasy when I am not sure what the camera is doing. I guess I like my mistakes to be mine.

Thanks Lightmancer. I tried cleaning the terminals and it seems to have cut down on the number of flickers, but the initial one is still there.

Back