Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenherby

All-Pro
Name
Herbert Lang
Hi,my best friend has buy an rx1r and now he has a problem with the light.the films are ok but the pictures are overlightet

this powerful camera needs to be shot in Manual mode. One must control all settings for the magic to happen. Yes it still does a nice image in any of the auto modes (Aper. priority, shutter priority, ect) but the magic happens when you shoot in full manual and YOU control your exposure. I have preached for years to do this and to slightly underexpose (something that any of the auto modes will never do for the most part) and then bring up the brightness in post both local and global, if shot in this manner, the files will pop and have a deep rich feel and color.

Here is a shot I took in Sky City Acoma in the evening, I was shooting for this look, and there is no way the auto modes will give this look, NONE!

Sony Rx1
1-3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

this powerful camera needs to be shot in Manual mode. One must control all settings for the magic to happen. Yes it still does a nice image in any of the auto modes (Aper. priority, shutter priority, ect) but the magic happens when you shoot in full manual and YOU control your exposure. I have preached for years to do this and to slightly underexpose (something that any of the auto modes will never do for the most part) and then bring up the brightness in post both local and global, if shot in this manner, the files will pop and have a deep rich feel and color.

Here is a shot I took in Sky City Acoma in the evening, I was shooting for this look, and there is no way the auto modes will give this look, NONE!
Pardon me Lucille, but while I agree with your basic point that you need to take control of your exposure with the RX1 (or any other camera for that matter), shooting it in full manual is only ONE WAY of doing that - not the ONLY way. You can do it just as effectively in Aperture Priority along with the exposure compensation dial. Or shutter priority as well, although for a shot like this, I doubt the shutter speed would have been the most critical parameter. The key thing is being conscious of the exposure and changing whatever variables YOU NEED TO in order to get it right. You may find it more effective to set all three parameters manually (and thus take the exposure comp dial completely out of the equation), but you can do it just as well using that tool in combination with some of the semi-auto modes. You just have to be conscious of what you're doing, but there's more than one way to get to the same point.

-Ray

Again folks, shoot this camera in full manual, learn it, let it be a extension of your hand, you will find you can quickly change all settings in all situations and don't rely on auto anythings making decisions for you, this body makes shooting in full manual so easy, it will change your photography allowing you to make artful pictures from common scenes. When you shoot full manual and control all settings, you really will feel in control and one with this GEM of a body, I believe you will have more joyful experiences as you continue to grow in your photographic skills. As Ray says and he is correct, shooting in full manual is not the only way, IMO its the best way. For my shooting style, the auto modes don't give me what I want, I don't want aperture priority or shutter priority making decisions for me when I can make them for the given scene I am shooting.

And even if some of these automodes do give me close to what I want, I would rather come to this decision in my own mind by making my own adjustments, and do it quickly. You can control exposure on the Rx1 quickly in full manual, it is very easy how Sony set it up.

In any of the automodes the camera makes decisions and controls you, in full manual you make decisions and control the camera.

This is true for me atleast, having shot in full manual with the Rx1, has caused me to do the same with my A7S, A7, A7R MII. I found learning full manual to be easier on the Rx1, and that ability has transferred over to all of my gear.

Again folks, shoot this camera in full manual, learn it, let it be a extension of your hand, you will find you can quickly change all settings in all situations and don't rely on auto anythings making decisions for you, this body makes shooting in full manual so easy, it will change your photography allowing you to make artful pictures from common scenes.

But Lucille, you can really do the same thing with almost any advanced cameras that put the controls at your fingertips. I found it incredibly easy to shoot fully manual with various Fuji models and with my DF and other types of photographers find it even more immediate and easier with a more "modern" camera without such visible external controls. I think it's good for anyone to learn to shoot fully manually at some point, but then many, maybe most, of us find semi-automatic ways to shoot that give us every bit as much control but make the process of getting to the end product we seek easier. I loved the RX1 but if I wanted to shoot FULLY manually, I'd have liked the Fuji XT1 or my current Nikon DF more because it lets you see and set not only the aperture, but the shutter speed and ISO, before you even put the camera to your eye. With the RX1, you have a visible aperture dial and exposure comp dial, but you need to control the shutter speed and ISO from within menus or buttons you've programmed. That's to my taste for shooting in full manual - I respect that it's not yours. But the point is shooting in full manual mode is quite easy to get comfortable with on most great cameras, of which there are many today.

This is true for me at least, having shot in full manual with the Rx1, has caused me to do the same with my A7S, A7, A7R MII. I found learning full manual to be easier on the Rx1, and that ability has transferred over to all of my gear.

That's the key thing and all that matters. You found what works for YOU. But what works best for you isn't what works best for me, after putting in the time with enough different cameras to know. Lot's of ways to skin the cat, but each of us has to find the method and the tools that work for how we're most comfortable working. I'm really glad you found your gear related bliss, but please understand that just because it's the best way for you doesn't mean it's necessarily the best way for anybody else, let alone EVERYBODY else!

The "artful pictures from common scenes" aren't coming from the camera - they're coming from your excellent eye and your own comfort level with your gear. We can each get there if we have the eye, but we might each find very different gear that we related to best in order to realize that vision...

I love your shooting, but I disagree with your insistence on this one way being the BEST way. It's just one really good way, of which there are others...

-Ray

I truly believe it is the best way. I want total control of my output, full manual is the only way for total control and again I believe the best way.

With photo manipulation software these days, If you shoot raw in program or scene mode you pretty much still get full control over the final image in post.
Provided it doesn't include depth of field or motion issues. But you could get over that with Sv or Av modes.
You will never have total control anyway. You cant choose to have 1/125sec at f8 if the available light wont allow it. So you might as well use shutter or aperture priority. It's still a manual mode. Total control over exposure is only in the studio. Or is it ?

With photo manipulation software these days, If you shoot raw in program or scene mode you pretty much still get full control over the final image in post.
Provided it doesn't include depth of field or motion issues. But you could get over that with Sv or Av modes.
You will never have total control anyway. You cant choose to have 1/125sec at f8 if the available light wont allow it. So you might as well use shutter or aperture priority. It's still a manual mode. Total control over exposure is only in the studio. Or is it ?

I disagree, I do have control in manual, sometimes I want to a slow shutter speed to convey motion blur, post processing doesn't give me this, knowing how to shoot in manual does. Sometimes I want to freeze motion for a sharp subject in lowlight settings without using flash, yet get a good exposure, post processing doesn't do this, using the camera in manual with full control does. I never look to save images in post, since my film days it is in me to try and get as close to the look I want in camera as possible. I can choose 1/125sec at f8 if I want to, but hopefully I am using the A7S or A7R MII so I can bump ISO without issue, with that said I am not really a f8 shooter, I tend to be a wideopen shooter, my style for me anyways, leads me to really favor Manual mode and be in control of all settings including WB.

I really believe one should fully learn and understand the exposure triangle, and do so while shooting in manual, learning different settings for different scene's, learn your camera and how to quickly change those settings, if one does it enough you can quickly make changes on the fly without much thought, having total control. IMO this is where the Magic of the Rx1 happens. Control the camera and unleash your creativity.

Shutter and Aperture priority are 'Semi Auto' modes and not manual mode. Because you are still allowing the camera to make decisions for you.

With the RX1, you have a visible aperture dial and exposure comp dial, but you need to control the shutter speed and ISO from within menus or buttons you've programmed. That's to my taste for shooting in full manual - I respect that it's not yours. But the point is shooting in full manual mode is quite easy to get comfortable with on most great cameras, of which there are many today.

-Ray

This is half correct. I am sure you are aware of the dial to control shutter speed. So no, you don't need to go into a menu for shutter speed, but yes you do for ISO. I can easily change settings with the camera to my eye and do it all the time, but I am mainly adjusting shutter speed with the dial or the aperture on the lens.

This is half correct. I am sure you are aware of the dial to control shutter speed. So no, you don't need to go into a menu for shutter speed, but yes you do for ISO. I can easily change settings with the camera to my eye and do it all the time, but I am mainly adjusting shutter speed with the dial or the aperture on the lens.
Yeah, I get it - I had one for quite a while and I loved it. But I didn't find it any easier to adjust all three manual settings than with most other modern cameras. For my personal preferences (and that's ALL I'm claiming it is), if I were to be shooting manually most of the time I'd prefer either the Fuji XT1 or Nikon DF because all three of the primary controls are set via dials easily visible and adjustable with the camera at your waist or at your eye. With the RX1, you pretty much need it at your eye for everything except aperture and exposure comp (which you'd never use in full manual mode anyway). It's academic to me because having spent many years shooting full manual (because that's all there was - sometimes with a handheld light meter because THAT's all there was), I'm very happy to use aperture priority with auto-iso most of the time these days. I shoot in shutter priority if I want to specifically slow the shutter speed and I shoot with manual ISO if I'm shooting off of a tripod, but for the vast majority of my shooting, I'm in a semi-automatic mode that I set all of the parameters for (and I set 'em differently for different types of shooting using memory settings to switch between them quickly). So I only regularly use the aperture ring and exposure compensation dials, which the RX1 has set up very prominently and to my liking. But for full manual, I'd rather have the shutter speed and ISO dial on the top deck as well. The RX1 is not set up in a way that makes it difficult to shoot fully manually, but it's not any easier than most high-ish end cameras, only IMHO of course...

-Ray

I don't think anyone is being uncivil here - just a disagreement, clarified and restated. The harm?

I was wondering that myself. I prefer to pre-select ISO 200 and f5.6 for most casual photos, and leave the shutter on Auto. Then when I consciously know that I need more or less DOF, I'll change the Aperture and leave all else as is. My trigger to check the shutter speed is when the bursts (my default mode) are obviously too slow. Once that's an issue, if I can't open the Aperture further and the shutter is still too slow for handheld, I go to ISO as the last resort. If I'm still not satisfied, it's tripod or firm support time.

The bottom line for me is to optimize for least conscious attention to settings, but still have a good hierarchy of control.

I don't think anyone is being uncivil here - just a disagreement, clarified and restated. The harm?

I don't feel any hostility or ill will, Though for me the RX1 is a very easy camera to shoot in full manual and I believe this is where the magic happens, I think the semi auto modes start causing this camera to render like other 35mm setups meaning the rx1 loses some mojo, but I know we are all different with different needs and requirements and our eyes see things different and a lot of this is subjective.
I don't take any of your comments as uncivil at all, you expressed your viewpoint perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back