Apple Programmes for Mac

I tried everyone one of them about 2 years ago, and at that time, Lightroom won out. I still think it's the best, and very cross-platform between mac and pc. I got mine on an edu discount, and there have been some specials run from time to time lately. Many of these you can try before you buy anyway, so give them a whirl.

I still run iPhoto because my family wants an "easier" interface, but at >8,000 photos now in iPhoto, it seems to me that performance is suffering (whereas I've got >6,000 in LR with no issues).

(forgot to add) I also have PS elements for an occasional major fix that LR won't handle well. I use PSE maybe 3-4 times a year, but little bits like photomerge are invaluable.

Heather
Apple have some good Aperture videos on their site, and prpbably some with the application itself. Consider signing up for Kelby Training: lot's of great photography stuff, and two excellent sessions on Aperture.

wt21
if iPhoto slows down, consider setting up a new library for it:
1. Quit iPhoto. Hold down the option key and restart iPhoto
2. From the dialogue box choose ' create new library': name it something logical like 'number two'.
3. At any time you can go back to the old library by holding down the Option key as you start iPhoto, then choose the old library from the dialogue.

The new library will run nice and fast. Hope this helps.

Heather
Apple have some good Aperture videos on their site, and prpbably some with the application itself. Consider signing up for Kelby Training: lot's of great photography stuff, and two excellent sessions on Aperture.

wt21
if iPhoto slows down, consider setting up a new library for it:
1. Quit iPhoto. Hold down the option key and restart iPhoto
2. From the dialogue box choose ' create new library': name it something logical like 'number two'.
3. At any time you can go back to the old library by holding down the Option key as you start iPhoto, then choose the old library from the dialogue.

The new library will run nice and fast. Hope this helps.

Not sure what you mean by create a new library. Split the pictures, or rebuild the database, etc.

Not sure what you mean by create a new library. Split the pictures, or rebuild the database, etc.

Hi
Basically, the photographs you view and edit in iPhoto are contained in a library. When the library becomes very large, with large images, iPhoto can become slower in operation. So the solution I described is to have more than one library - you can in fact have as many as you want. Your existing photographs, albums etc would stay just as they are, with the 8,000 photographs you mention.

The process I described would create a second library with zero photographs, which would then operate very quickly.

If you want to do anything with the original library, simply restart iPhoto while holding down the Option key and select the original library.

Having said all that, iPhoto should run well with 8,000 photographs. What version of iPhoto are you using? What Mac, and how much RAM?

Hi
Basically, the photographs you view and edit in iPhoto are contained in a library. When the library becomes very large, with large images, iPhoto can become slower in operation. So the solution I described is to have more than one library - you can in fact have as many as you want. Your existing photographs, albums etc would stay just as they are, with the 8,000 photographs you mention.

The process I described would create a second library with zero photographs, which would then operate very quickly.

If you want to do anything with the original library, simply restart iPhoto while holding down the Option key and select the original library.

Having said all that, iPhoto should run well with 8,000 photographs. What version of iPhoto are you using? What Mac, and how much RAM?

That's what I thought you meant. I prefer to keep just one library at this time. I just think the db in iPhoto is inherently less efficient than the one in Adobe.

That's what I thought you meant. I prefer to keep just one library at this time. I just think the db in iPhoto is inherently less efficient than the one in Adobe.

At one time, a few years back, that was indeed the case: iPhoto handled the images in a very inefficient, though generally effective, manner. The rapid increase in both the size of images and the number of images changed this, and the broad method is pretty much the same. One thing that can happen is that over time various thumbnails build up and slow down the operation. To speed up iPhoto, try this:
1. Close iPhoto
2. Launch iPhoto while holding down the Command and Option keys
3. Select and run the various commands

This will result in a speedier iPhoto

Note that it's always best to run you standard backup procedure before any maintenance.

Back