Project Beastie Bike

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
I was out biking on a remote trail earlier today, when I heard a loud PING. I looked back to find that my derailleur hanger had broken loose. Faced with pushing the bike almost 7 miles back to the car, I improvised with my pocket knife and a piece of Birch branch I found laying beside the trail. A small rock made for a handy hammer. McGyver I am not, but it worked well enough to allow me to pedal back to the car.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
The bolt that secured the derailleur broke?

Nicely done on the field repair.

Cheers, Jock
Thanks Jock. The bolt seemed to pull right out of the mounting hole. I really should get a new frame, as this one is a hodge-podge of parts that were never meant to be together. I just hate to spend more $$$, as I've been picking up some tools for my workshop recently.

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Jan 3, 2012
Troy, NY
Thanks Jock. The bolt seemed to pull right out of the mounting hole. I really should get a new frame, as this one is a hodge-podge of parts that were never meant to be together. I just hate to spend more $$$, as I've been picking up some tools for my workshop recently.
How about a short threaded bolt through the hole with a really thin nut to hold it . . . or wouldn't there be enough clearance for the chain and sprocket. (I'm just guessing at the geometry.)

Alternatively, a bolt with a relatively flat head inserted through the hole from the sprocket side and the nut and maybe lock washer on the outside of the frame . . .

In any event, I am impressed at what a pain it would have been to push a bike for 7 miles over trails.

Cheers, Jock

KillRamsey

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2012
Hood River, OR
Is (was) there really a normal reailleur hanger tab, or was it directly bolted to the frame?

I adopted a 2009 Specialized Stumpy recently, looked rough but seemed sound. Rode it to drop my daughter off at school, and BANG the derailluer actually went far enough in towards the wheel in lowest gear to be grabbed by the spokes, which yanked it up, around, and over, and cracked it in half (it was a fancy stock old XTR, with a carbon fiber cage that snapped pretty easily). I found that the derailleur hanger tab was to blame - it was ent slightly inwards, so the derailleur was angled in, and in low gear could juuuust go far enough to get snagged. I gently bent it straight with an adjustable wrench, replaced the $300-ish XTR der. with a $39 Deore, and now it shifts perfectly.

Wif also just ripped the old chain ring off her beloved Pugeot UO-8 from the 70's. 3 of the bolts came off under her torque going uphill, the chain then taco'd the poor thing around to an bolong shape. So I have some $hit to replace.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Is (was) there really a normal reailleur hanger tab, or was it directly bolted to the frame?

I adopted a 2009 Specialized Stumpy recently, looked rough but seemed sound. Rode it to drop my daughter off at school, and BANG the derailluer actually went far enough in towards the wheel in lowest gear to be grabbed by the spokes, which yanked it up, around, and over, and cracked it in half (it was a fancy stock old XTR, with a carbon fiber cage that snapped pretty easily). I found that the derailleur hanger tab was to blame - it was ent slightly inwards, so the derailleur was angled in, and in low gear could juuuust go far enough to get snagged. I gently bent it straight with an adjustable wrench, replaced the $300-ish XTR der. with a $39 Deore, and now it shifts perfectly.

Wif also just ripped the old chain ring off her beloved Pugeot UO-8 from the 70's. 3 of the bolts came off under her torque going uphill, the chain then taco'd the poor thing around to an bolong shape. So I have some $hit to replace.
Dang, your bike troubles seem to be even worse. There is a hanger bolted onto my derailleur - it's what you see hooked around the tree branch stub in the photo. The frame I'm using was never meant to have gears or disc brakes - I did a lot of garage engineering to make it work. I've had a lot of fun with this Frankenstein bike, and gotten a lot of great miles from it, but I've also had my share of maintenance issues. If I can find a proper fat bike frame without having to outlay tons of $$$, I'll likely swap over my wheels, brakes, gears, etc.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom