Daily Challenge Proposal: Vision 2022 - the remake ...

@JensM You *can* use any restrictions you wish, but they're not mandatory.

Anyhow, you see quite a few veterans of previous monthly challenges contemplate additional objectives,so it's probably not something you *shouldn't* do - you just don't have to ...

M.
Splendid, I am pondering using the oldies, one week each of GFs1-5 (sans 3, which I dont have), plus either the GM1 or 5 to round it off. Lens choice not pondered yet, but going for one through the whole thing could be interesting. :)

I am in, it will be fun to shift into a "whatever camera, but only the good shots" mindset. I doubt I'll be able to shoot every day (in winter many of my single in photos end up being indoors after it's dark out and I'm o0ff work, I've plumbed those depths pretty much entirely), but will see what I can get!
In all seriousness though I do have some studio and still life experience, I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but it does help. I haven't pulled out the kids old wooden trains yet, but given my goal of comparing the 14mm, 20mm, & 25mm focal lengths from both a fixed distance and different distances to fill the frame equally; you might see them this time.

Thanks Matt - I'd like to participate. I had a lot of fun with SiO. Regardless of the Vision 2020 rule, I had already been thinking of doing a personal one-camera/one-lens project of my own in January. So I'll probably just treat it as a personal SiJ anyway. Either way, I'm in! (y)

Hmm, so this is whatever tool is at hand sort of thing?

You *can* use any restrictions you wish, but they're not mandatory.

Anyhow, you see quite a few veterans of previous monthly challenges contemplate additional objectives,so it's probably not something you *shouldn't* do - you just don't have to ...

M.

For me the Single In Challenges are a good way to get to know or force you to shoot with something that you typically wouldn't use all the time. Like the lens you bought for "X". I did that in the April 2020 Single In with my Sigma 56 and last October with the Fuji X100v I had just picked up.

Using the Sigma for the month tuned out to be fun, some of the images are on my site here.

October's challenge didn't work out so well since I found out pretty quickly that the X100v wasn't me. When I listed it for sale I figured it would take a while to sell. It didn't, but luckily I had something else new I could use to take it's place. Not the best for a Single In, but sometimes things happen.

But things like this give you the opportunity to create other personal challenges. I'll probably still do my best to hit every day and post comparison shots in a separate thread while posting the one I prefer in the challenge thread. It will be interesting to see if therre is a trend through the month.

I think I'm going to pass this time...... I'm just coming off having done a 2020 52-Weeks Project and a 2021 52-Weeks Project: two years of shooting nearly every day anyway, then pulling together several images to share at the end of each week, and on top of that I did the Octoberfest Project at Nikon Cafe this year as well -- submitting a fresh image every day with one of three specified prime lenses. I am beginning to realize that I am getting a bit tired -- counting the days until the 2021 52 Weeks Project is done and I finally wrap it up! That suggests to me that I really need to take a break now. The last thing I want to do is wind up burning out to the point where I don't pick up a camera for a long, long time. Been there, done that.

I'll enjoy seeing what you guys come up with in January, though, with this Vision 2022 project!

I just realized today I'm having a difficult time finishing my 2021 monthly project after doing Octoberfest, SiO, and a Collective Shoot. I find myself in the same position, rapidly approaching burn out.

I think I'll be backing off a bit, and just shoot randomly for 2022.

Last edited:
Okay, folks, I'll set up the challenge later today - and to take off the pressure, I'll even forgo a participants' list this time; the challenge will run the whole month, and every contribution is valued, even if you can only make it just one single image.

Noone has to commit to a full month, but of course, for those who want to experience the vibe of a monthly challenge, shooting and posting daily is encouraged, but please also feel free to explore the completely open format - *if* you can make it, even just once, you'll be featured in the final collage.

N.B. I've found a couple of applications that make producing a collage fairly easy - but I'm still looking for someone who'll do a better job than a mere script.

M.

Okay, folks, I'll set up the challenge later today - and to take off the pressure, I'll even forgo a participants' list this time; the challenge will run the whole month, and every contribution is valued, even if you can only make it just one single image.

Noone has to commit to a full month, but of course, for those who want to experience the vibe of a monthly challenge, shooting and posting daily is encouraged, but please also feel free to explore the completely open format - *if* you can make it, even just once, you'll be featured in the final collage.

N.B. I've found a couple of applications that make producing a collage fairly easy - but I'm still looking for someone who'll do a better job than a mere script.

M.
And thank you for agreeing to this.

I'm not sure I could do a 365 project. But these monthly challenge projects get me out shooting. Even if I end up with similar shots, it's shooting and I usually try and find something new and different. I have new continuous light I'm going to try and add to the mix this time as well.

And thank you for agreeing to this.

I'm not sure I could do a 365 project. But these monthly challenge projects get me out shooting. Even if I end up with similar shots, it's shooting and I usually try and find something new and different. I have new continuous light I'm going to try and add to the mix this time as well.
I can be so clueless sometimes. I thought to myself, "yeah, i could never commit to a 365 challenge." :rolleyes: The trick with the Daily challenge is that there is no finish line.

I can be so clueless sometimes. I thought to myself, "yeah, i could never commit to a 365 challenge." :rolleyes: The trick with the Daily challenge is that there is no finish line.
It's kind of the "AA" principle of "one day at a time", continuosly ... In our case, it starts - and more or less ends - with "CC": Carry a Camera - at all times, or, reversely, just "one day at a time"; of course, you also need to shoot with said camera, but if you carry one, you'll find yourself using it, or else, what sense would it make ...

M.

I have the E-P7 in my work bag every day. Just pulling it and using it every day is the challenge. I tend to try and think of new ways to shoot things I've shot before as it is. If I went 365 straight there would probably be a lot of repetition.

I have the E-P7 in my work bag every day. Just pulling it and using it every day is the challenge. I tend to try and think of new ways to shoot things I've shot before as it is. If I went 365 straight there would probably be a lot of repetition.
The small, simple and mundane is your friend there ... And never forget it's *making* an image out fo what you find, not just *taking* prime opportunities. But of course, you know all that.

I don't want to talk you into it - I just continue to find it worthwhile. As long as you don't expect yourself to produce a continuous stream of masterpieces, it works. Anyhow, I'm by now seeing subject matter everywhere - not spectacular stuff, but occasions, situations, arrangements I could make images out of. That's a big aspect when it comes to rewarding aspects; becoming more proficient is another one - shooting is no longer complicated or a burden, it just happens (pretty much regardless of the gear at hand). Safety shots only occur if I'm running out of time (or daylight).

But of course, there *will* be slow days (or periods) - perseverance is key, even if it becomes kind of second nature over time. Anyhow, I never intended to just go on - now it's strange to think about stopping. It's routine, verging on habit - one of the less detrimental ones, too ...

M.

Back