Proprioception

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
A funny quote and useful information from The Online Photographer. He was comparing old film cameras.

"Haptic: "relating to the sense of touch, in particular relating to the perception and manipulation of objects using the senses of touch and proprioception**."

Proprioception: "perception or awareness of the position and movement of the body."

(That's the first time in a while I've looked up a word and then had to go look up another word from the definition of the first one.)"

It really helps to engage the k.i.s.s theory in things like this. Haptics to me just means whether the camera feels good in the hands and to use. Must admit I haven’t heard that other phrase though I’m sure my mum would.

Proprioception is at a high level with aerobatic and fighter pilots. Lots of athletes have very highly tuned proprioceptive skills that inform their position and orientation in relation to competitors. Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky both displayed it in spades.

Here's a thought: how to implement proprioception into a photograph, given that the edges of the frame effective cut out that photograph's ability to fit itself into the larger surrounding world - remove its perception of how it "moves" or exists in its context?

Back