Pure Abstracts

Thanks Eliot

Though not sure that's a compliment or an observation

A bit more experimentation & playing & I'll be aiming for the ICA ;)

I like these. Are they photographs of abstract artwork or are they just photographs of everyday stuff shot (and processed) in a highly abstract way? If the former, I like 'em. If the latter, I'm really impressed and am interested in what they are and how you processed them...

-Ray

Not exactly everyday stuff some small 4" square samples of plastic which look like mottled glass - sort of reflections the blue is my camera pp was minimal on 1st & 3rd just cropped / trimmed & deepened the colours a bit
the second was highly processed

I love abstracts... there used to be a Redbubble group focussed entirely on abstracts garnered from mundane everyday things, like rusting gates and paint that had gone astray. There was some pretty startling stuff in there. Those people could really *see*. Don't know if its still going, Redbubble turned to crap a couple of years ago.

_1170669 (2).jpg

topaz simplify
this is actually the moon shining thru some tree branches

These shots have made me go back and take a look at the "abstracts" I've shot, or tried to. I've tended almost always to shoot stuff that's still readily identifiable but form somewhat abstract images from it. I've never just set out to find some shapes and colors and make images that nobody would have a clue what they were looking at. Mine always seem to have some pretty strongly geometric features. A couple of examples:

7091714067_38737899db_b.jpg

NYC 4/18/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

6313318981_95396666e2_b.jpg

Pier Patterns by ramboorider1, on Flickr

This may be the most abstract shot I've done, and it was largely by accident that it was quite this abstract. It's just looking up through a clouded glass awning with a guy mopping the top of it on a sunny day. It came out sort of abstract and fooled a lot of people (except for my explanation on Flickr), but I can't say that was my intent.

View attachment 84498
NYC 4/5/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr\

This re-examination makes me admire what you're doing here that much more. I'm tempted to play around with the idea, but I'm not sure my eye works that way...

Thanks again for the great images and for the thought provoking nature of the thread...

-Ray

This re-examination makes me admire what you're doing here that much more. I'm tempted to play around with the idea, but I'm not sure my eye works that way...

Thanks again for the great images and for the thought provoking nature of the thread...

-Ray

Ray, u have a great eye....... Now don't muck it up;). Lol

Go crazy n show us what you've got!

OK, here's a shot at one. Just a section of a purple bulletin board down on the local college campus. The little bit of text on the scrap of paper to the left is the one clear connection to reality. The rest is just scraps of tape/paper, reflections, color, etc...

View attachment 84585
RX1 Walk-43-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Back