Micro 4/3 Q: GX85 exposure lock

Set the AE in settings menu to lock both AE/AF exposure for back button and/or simply AE with half press shutter.
Got it. Only problem is using thumb (or nose) focus turns AE off. Just a quick I guess. It won't "stick". E-M5.2 has a similar quirk that annoys me - it doesn't reset the Exposure Comp when you turn camera off. GX85 can do that.
Probably the lesson here is Walter needs to get over it and learn to not be annoyed so easily.

Sigh. Good luck with that.

Got it. Only problem is using thumb (or nose) focus turns AE off. Just a quick I guess. It won't "stick". E-M5.2 has a similar quirk that annoys me - it doesn't reset the Exposure Comp when you turn camera off. GX85 can do that.
Probably the lesson here is Walter needs to get over it and learn to not be annoyed so easily.

Sigh. Good luck with that.
Do you prefer having a separate AE lock? With the GX85, I prefer to put AE lock on Fn3, which I don't use that much. The back-button AF can stay at AF lock.

Do you prefer having a separate AE lock? With the GX85, I prefer to put AE lock on Fn3, which I don't use that much. The back-button AF can stay at AF lock.
Yes, I would prefer that, but, as I said before, the issue is really that the AE lock is cancelled when one moves the focus point. It's a software bug, but Panasonic is not going to fix the software for one person. A tiny annoyance I should learn to live with. In fact I have, but like to check every so often to see if someone has found a magical way around this small bug.

The AE Lock is cancelled when the focus point is moved. My current workaround is: 1) use center-point focus (like in the old days), 2) pick target and set AE Lock, 3) using center point, focus, re-compose, fire. Would be nice to lock exposure and just freely take photos - but it just requires more careful sequencing than normal.

Not a Big Deal. Its just that we have this really fast and efficient focusing by touch screen, but it is not usable with AE Lock - Shame.

Yes, I would prefer that, but, as I said before, the issue is really that the AE lock is cancelled when one moves the focus point. It's a software bug, but Panasonic is not going to fix the software for one person. A tiny annoyance I should learn to live with. In fact I have, but like to check every so often to see if someone has found a magical way around this small bug.

The AE Lock is cancelled when the focus point is moved. My current workaround is: 1) use center-point focus (like in the old days), 2) pick target and set AE Lock, 3) using center point, focus, re-compose, fire. Would be nice to lock exposure and just freely take photos - but it just requires more careful sequencing than normal.

Not a Big Deal. Its just that we have this really fast and efficient focusing by touch screen, but it is not usable with AE Lock - Shame.
Walter, maybe turn off touchscreen focusing?

Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with touchscreens ...

Manual exposure is so fast and easy with the what you see is what you get viewfinders we have that most of the time I don’t even bother with auto anymore. Once you’re in the ballpark just refine it by sight and it’s always locked. If you can stand it, a histogram overlay is helpful.

Back