Quenching a GAS attack, Superzoom/Bridge vs. High-end compact?

Warren T.

Regular
Apr 8, 2011
San Francisco
I happened to be checking out the merchandise store of my frequent flyer mileage program, and I saw some interesting offerings in the store. Of course, this resulted in a horrible GAS attack :biggrin:.

So my question is: Which do you think would be more fun, a Nikon P100/P500(superzoom), or an Olympus XZ1(high-end compact)?

Some background about me:

- almost 40 years in photography, used everything from box brownie to Hasselblad in the film world, in digital, I have used many different camera types since the beginning of the digital era.

My current, most used gear:

- Mu-43: G1, GF1, 20mm, 14-45mm, 45-200mm (75% of my current total usage)
- apc-c: Nikon D100
- film: Nikons: F4s, F3HP, F2s, Leica M3, plus a huge selection of film lenses from 15mm to 500mm

I shoot all genres: cityscapes, landscapes, portrait, abstracts, street.

I've never had the pleasure of owning a modern superzoom, and I've been eyeing a high-end compact lately (XZ1, LX5, etc.) Unfortunately, the merchandise store didn't have the LX5, otherwise the decision might have been easier since I have had a positive experience with Lumix :).

This new toy would not replace anything. It will just be another tool in the arsenal, so to speak.

--Warren

Reactions: BBW
Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Go the XZ-1, it might not have the reach of the Nikon but from what I have seen here, the reproduction from it is magnificent. You won't get anything like that from the Nikon. I had a P100 and sold it because it just wasn't up to scratch (my FZ100 is about to go the same way). I don't think Nikon does small sensors very well, overall. Its a bit like Pentax which isnt very good at them, either.

Penny

Veteran
Aug 26, 2010
Outside Liverpool Uk
I had the Nikon p100 for about 6weeks and sold it; it didn't have Raw if you need it (I didn't) but I just didn't like the general results from that camera, I also had a Panasonic super-zoom some years ago quality at the lower end was fine but the Zoom end it never looked very good.
There's a big difference between the compact ZX-1 and any super-zoom; they have their advantages as an 'all-in-one' camera, see if you can try one out first would be my advice.

Warren T.

Regular
Apr 8, 2011
San Francisco
Thanks for your opinion's, everyone. Mal's recent thread about his new Canon SX30is caused my GAS for a superzoom:). His sample shots were very nice. As a long time Nikon system user, I have always hoped for a good Nikon P&S/tiny sensor camera, but it seems that I may have to continue my wait. I'm not in a hurry so I'll continue to mull it over. I have also been very impressed by the XZ1 shots posted here on SC. I appreciate your input. --Warren

Warren T.

Regular
Apr 8, 2011
San Francisco
I should also mention that I currently have a Canon SD300 and Canon A570is. The SD300 is nice because it is shirt pocket-able. I inherited it from a friend who upgraded. It is a very convenient size, and even though it is a few generations old, it still takes decent snapshots. When I take it out, I carry it on a compact belt holster. A few years ago, I chose the A570is because is seemed like the best combination of features and performance at the time, and it also has a built-in optical viewfinder. Very unfortunately, my A570is developed the dreaded low-battery warning problem where it will flash the low battery warning and shut itself off at inopportune times. We once went on a cruise to Mexico and I brought only the A570is and a Yashica T4 loaded with Tri-X. That was a refreshing change from lugging my D100 kit along (it was before the invention of Mu-43).

--Warren

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom