Quenching a GAS attack, Superzoom/Bridge vs. High-end compact?

Warren T.

Regular
I happened to be checking out the merchandise store of my frequent flyer mileage program, and I saw some interesting offerings in the store. Of course, this resulted in a horrible GAS attack :D.

So my question is: Which do you think would be more fun, a Nikon P100/P500(superzoom), or an Olympus XZ1(high-end compact)?

Some background about me:

- almost 40 years in photography, used everything from box brownie to Hasselblad in the film world, in digital, I have used many different camera types since the beginning of the digital era.

My current, most used gear:

- Mu-43: G1, GF1, 20mm, 14-45mm, 45-200mm (75% of my current total usage)
- apc-c: Nikon D100
- film: Nikons: F4s, F3HP, F2s, Leica M3, plus a huge selection of film lenses from 15mm to 500mm

I shoot all genres: cityscapes, landscapes, portrait, abstracts, street.

I've never had the pleasure of owning a modern superzoom, and I've been eyeing a high-end compact lately (XZ1, LX5, etc.) Unfortunately, the merchandise store didn't have the LX5, otherwise the decision might have been easier since I have had a positive experience with Lumix :).

This new toy would not replace anything. It will just be another tool in the arsenal, so to speak.

--Warren

Go the XZ-1, it might not have the reach of the Nikon but from what I have seen here, the reproduction from it is magnificent. You won't get anything like that from the Nikon. I had a P100 and sold it because it just wasn't up to scratch (my FZ100 is about to go the same way). I don't think Nikon does small sensors very well, overall. Its a bit like Pentax which isnt very good at them, either.

I had the Nikon p100 for about 6weeks and sold it; it didn't have Raw if you need it (I didn't) but I just didn't like the general results from that camera, I also had a Panasonic super-zoom some years ago quality at the lower end was fine but the Zoom end it never looked very good.
There's a big difference between the compact ZX-1 and any super-zoom; they have their advantages as an 'all-in-one' camera, see if you can try one out first would be my advice.

Thanks for your opinion's, everyone. Mal's recent thread about his new Canon SX30is caused my GAS for a superzoom:). His sample shots were very nice. As a long time Nikon system user, I have always hoped for a good Nikon P&S/tiny sensor camera, but it seems that I may have to continue my wait. I'm not in a hurry so I'll continue to mull it over. I have also been very impressed by the XZ1 shots posted here on SC. I appreciate your input. --Warren

I should also mention that I currently have a Canon SD300 and Canon A570is. The SD300 is nice because it is shirt pocket-able. I inherited it from a friend who upgraded. It is a very convenient size, and even though it is a few generations old, it still takes decent snapshots. When I take it out, I carry it on a compact belt holster. A few years ago, I chose the A570is because is seemed like the best combination of features and performance at the time, and it also has a built-in optical viewfinder. Very unfortunately, my A570is developed the dreaded low-battery warning problem where it will flash the low battery warning and shut itself off at inopportune times. We once went on a cruise to Mexico and I brought only the A570is and a Yashica T4 loaded with Tri-X. That was a refreshing change from lugging my D100 kit along (it was before the invention of Mu-43).

--Warren

Back