Fuji Quesabesde-X100S first samples and comparison with the Sony RX1

serhan

Hall of Famer
At quesabesde, Fujifilm X100S: first samples and comparison with the Sony RX1:

Google Translate

Fuji_X100s_comp_600g.jpg

Slow autofocus is no longer included in the list of downsides. Moreover, the performance of the new sensor with X-Trans and its ability to stand up to full frame cameras make X100S a safe bet in this segment. These two good improvements justify this update.

Another review, this time with a model:)

30 mph gusts and rain: Fujifilm X100s: Review: part one « Mike Kobal

More info on manual focus and autofocus:
-Best EVF: The increased refresh rate and resolution.

-New mf split focusing mode: I liked it, however, because of my video work (mostly with the Sony FS100/700) I am used to focus peaking and I found it much easier and faster to use, however, I am sure this is only a matter of preference. It was great to have both options. It was also great that the full range from infinity to the closest focus point required only a two inch rotation of the fly by wire ring!

-AF performance: The big unknown, how good is the latest contrast/phase detection af performance? Well, after a couple hours of intense shooting I can tell you this much: In good as well as mediocre lighting conditions auto focus can be blazingly fast. Nikon V1/V2 fast. Olympus OM-D fast. Yes, my friends, it is that good! BUT, it still missed and hunted from time to time for no particular reason. Overall, a huge improvement. In very poor light, it is as good as the Sony Nex-6 or 7 with a fast focusing af lens. Fuji is close to the top and I am hopeful that they will improve on it again with firmware updates. To be clear, if your life depends on extremely fast, consistent auto focus, you will live longer with the Nikon V2 or the Olympus OM-D. If you can live with a few missed shots and appreciate incredible image quality rivaling results of full frame sensors, take a close look at the X100s. How does it compare to the 18mm, 35mm and 14mm Fujinon lenses? Hunting speed falls right in between the 18mm and the 35mm. During its fasted focus acquisition, the X100s beats them all.

Very cool, especially comparing against the RX1 which I know from experience is superb. This probably says at least as much for the X100S' Fujinon lens as for the X-trans sensor tech!

The RX1 will doubtless retain some advantages but that's to be expected with the price point and specs between the two. Just the fact that they're comparable at all is impressive though, and I'm very encouraged by all the positive press on the focus improvements over the X100 also.

Back