Question for Lightroom users on presets

wt21

Hall of Famer
Just wondering. For other LR users, do you use the out of the box presets that LR ships with? I'm finding I never use them, but I am making my own presets, which get lost amongst the built ins. So, I'm thinking of deleting the built in presets (except for a few here and there).

Was wondering what other LR users do with the built in presets.

Bill, I set up separate preset folders with distinctive names in which to store home-made and/or downloaded presets. Makes finding the right preset just a tad easier.

I forgot all about LR's presets! I have the little arrow clicked so that I can't see them. Maybe I should look at them again?

I have only downloaded some M8 presets from someplace that a fellow member gave me the link to once long ago. I used to use them a great deal with my LX5 but don't much now. Sometimes I use them as a starting point to compare and back off from, etc.

I've never created my own probably because I'm too ignorant and/lazy to have learned how to.:redface::redface:

I find them rather useful as a starting point for particular types of processing (especially split toning and mono effects).
Like Chuck I also save my own version in the user presets, and I've copied (e.g.) the sharpening presets to my "user " presets to make them more accessible.
If you don't want the LR presets, delete all (or just some) of them - you can find the presets folder by going into Edit/Preferences an click "Show Presets Folder"; if you subsequently decide you want them back you can get them back by reinstalling LR (it shouldn;t harm the existing setup to do so)

Thanks for the ideas, but I don't think the LR presets are there. I did as you suggested through the pref panel, but all I can see are my own presets there. None of the Adobe bundled ones.

There are more folders. I am very away from my lr install to check, but the standard preset come in a different folder. Creating more folders inside the main one help a lot in organizing when they are many.
Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

As I said, I'd forgotten about them but just used one today in conjunction with some other stuff. wt21, they must be there somewhere... Perhaps someone more experienced than I can help you locate them.

I sometimes check out the LR presets for fun, just to preview my image with a different 'look'. I also like the vignetting presets because they are handy to use for a quick vignetting so I don't have to do it manually using other tools. My custom presets are in a different folder. I create custom presets for specific sessions when most of the shots were done with the same camera and lighting conditions. I can apply my custom session preset for certain pictures in the same series. --Warren

Back