Fuji Quick coffee break and an X100s

Livnius

Top Veteran
Name
Joe
Degraves Street in town...always a nice place to go for a quick snap or 2 when there's no time to go wondering.
The luscious coffee is a bonus.

First run with the X100s and kinda liked this shot...but these X-Trans raws are going to take some getting used to I tells ya, the slightest push of the sharpening slider and it's like computer monitor is freaking out on acid.

8621186061_9d2d69e6b8_b.jpg

withxs by Livnius, on Flickr

Great photo! it almost looks like a CGI rendering, i can image it would get a little crazy with any extra sharpening. Is this the with the newest Adobe x-trans update(has anyone experienced similar problems with other software or XE1,xpro1)

I processed in LR4.4 which as far as I know contains the X100S specific profile and apparently a slightly improved reading of the X-trans sensor. People who've been using this sensor can judge whether its any different.

Yeah it's only been a day and only took a few snaps, but the files are just...odd !! Odd because in normal 100% viewing on my screen they look ridiculously good, color depth, transition between shades, and yeah, crazy sharp....but blow the image up and it just looks strange.

It's a weird thing to try get my head around....normal viewing is spectacular, better than just about anything I ever got out my m43 primes, but in magnified view they look poor...and sharpening, even slightly makes it worse. But, I wonder f it even matters ? I mean afterall, if the file is super sharp and looks amazing at normal magnification then it doesn't really matter how it looks at 200% right.

Only just day 1 so there is still heaps to figure out with the files....blown away with how good they are, but confused at how 'odd' they are :)

If it looks good at 100%, it's doing better than most. That represents a size you'd probably never print it at. If you enlarge a 35mm negative 48X times it looks even weirder.

I'm not sure what DPR has going on with their widget and what if any adjustments/camera settings have been made so I can't comment. I can only comment on what I have seen first hand from the images I took on day 1. And like I say, at normal viewing the images are stunning....only when blown up do the files look weird. Sharpening is fine too, but, I don't think I'll be able to sharpen these files like I would and OMD file...with OMD files I could push the sliders a long way before things fall apart, here I don't have that much room, the catch is though, the files are inherently noticeably sharper to begin with ! (my early observation).

On a different note, the MF distance scale is waaayy more accurate than the distance scale on the Oly 17/1.8.....I could just never seem to get a hit with it....the Fuji excels here relatively speaking, it focuses as far as I can tell exactly where it says it will focus....the clutch focus Oly17 didn't give me that confidence.

Nice shot, but I don`t like how details are rendered by the sensor. Seemingly, there is lots of detail at first glance, but when looking at the largest version on your flickr account, the way detail is rendered is not natural. Some in camera cooking of data which is not pleasing to my eye. But then I always felt that the Fuji X sensor`s file quality was overhyped. I even prefer the grainier output from the "inferior" newest mft as details seem to be preserved better.

I can't recall reading anything specifically about this before, but do we know how "raw" a Fuji X-Trans raw file really is? When I see the low levels of noise, and read that adding sharpening very quickly creates artefacts, it leads me to believe that within the complexities of the demosaicing et al of the X-Trans colour array there is a certain amount of processing that is already taking place. Now if it is done well there is nothing specifically wrong with raw cooking and it is becoming increasingly more more common in the form of lens correction and raw smoothing. Comparing raw files has always been difficult because some respond better to processing than others even if they start off fairly equal, but if some raws come more pre-processed than others it becomes more difficult again.

I could be totally wrong about the Fuji X-Trans files of course, but few answers ever come without first asking questions.

I like what I see here. When I look at the larger Flickr version I fail to see the problems that others have mentioned. I assume the photographer has done the conversion to B&W so that may have introduced some effects others are seeing. But I am impressed with the shot as it stands, and am thinking the new S version is a winner.

I consider myself a card carrying pixel peeper, but I think going higher than 100% is asking for trouble :). Great photo!

Back