Micro 4/3 Quick comparison of GX7 and EP5

Nice write-up Ray! I think you hit on the main differences and more importantly the broad overlap of the two bodies. M43 has really matured, and it's great to see things like 1/8000th, faster flash sync, and IBIS from both Panny and Oly. Now that I have used M43 for a while, have a GR, and a 5D3, I can say that in real world use in print (not pixel peeping at 200%), there isn't much in the IQ differences in most circumstances. Yes, there are differences, but they're getting smaller and more niche-like in quality (e.g. 400mm/2.8 sports photography, thin DOF, really high ISO).

Personally I could see myself being happy with EP5 or GX7. I'm not buying either now, because I have given my spare cash to John to reinvest in M43 for real (and for keeps) :)

Nice review Ray. I actually like the modular approach of having a separate EVF for the EP5. You can use it when you need it. For SP with a wide lens, I probably would not. Shooting wildlife with a tele I definitely would. Kinda reminds me of the system approach of my old Hassleblad. Will the Oly VF4 work on the E-PL5?

Nice review Ray. I actually like the modular approach of having a separate EVF for the EP5. You can use it when you need it. For SP with a wide lens, I probably would not. Shooting wildlife with a tele I definitely would. Kinda reminds me of the system approach of my old Hassleblad. Will the Oly VF4 work on the E-PL5?

I think I read a comment SOMEWHERE that indicated the VF-4 was backward compatible, but I'm not sure how far. But if it is at all, it should work with the EPL5. Regardless, it's quite a viewfinder. It's really big even on the EP5, it would really dwarf the little EPL5... I've generally liked the modular approach too but with cameras like the EM5 and GX7, the built in EVF doesn't take up much space or change the overall feel of the camera, so I sure don't MIND it. I don't like them when the rear overhang is large enough to obstruct the view of the rear screen when it's flipped up - the EM5 doesn't, the GX7 is sort of borderline, but since its off to the side it hasn't bothered me in that sense... I think if I was buying one of these, I'd be more inclined to go for the GX7 despite generally preferring Olympus bodies over the past few years. I really like the silent shutter and I like the way they deal with custom settings more than Oly's mysets. I like the grip too. And since you're not paying more for the EVF (actually a bit less and a lot less than if you add the VF4 to the EP5), I see that as an upside too, if not a huge one.

-Ray

Here's the lowdown on the VF-4s compatability.......
Compatible Body ”E-P5 / E-PL6* (Compatible with eye sensor ) *When using E-PL6 and VF-4, eye sensor function is same as E-M5
E-PL5, E-PM2, E-M5, E-PL3, E-PM1, E-P3 Firmware update required, Not compatible with eye sensor)
E-PL2, E-PL1, E-PL1s, E-P2, XZ-2 (Firmware update required, Not compatible with eye sensor, Image degradation on view finder.)”

Thanks Luke. The incompatibility with eye sensor I could easily deal with - I actually make the switch manual on the EM5. But the "image degradation on view finder" is pretty much a non-starter, given that the big bright clear image would be the only reason to buy this finder over the VF2 or 3...

-Ray

Back