Compact Quick comparison of LX100 vs Huawei P20 Pro

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Just a one shot test.
Here’s the P20 pro
10AFA0B6-2347-4B58-A817-9A5318477A0E.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and here is the LX100 version
43687651475_d9ddb5ca0e_b.jpg

Autumn vine (LX100) by -theoldsmithy-

The LX100 repays closer inspection in terms of sharpness and detail, but at first glance the phone photo is nicer, IMHO.

The phone image has a bunch more contrast and a bit more saturation. You could probably achieve similar results by tweaking the jpeg settings if the LX100.

But yes, in broad daylight, modern camera phones produce very attractive images very easily.

I dont know if the relatively shallow depth of field on the phone image is a result of a short shooting distance or of a "bokeh effect" calculation mode, but on my phone screen at least it looks convincing and pleasing.

The phone image has a bunch more contrast and a bit more saturation. You could probably achieve similar results by tweaking the jpeg settings if the LX100.

But yes, in broad daylight, modern camera phones produce very attractive images very easily.

I dont know if the relatively shallow depth of field on the phone image is a result of a short shooting distance or of a "bokeh effect" calculation mode, but on my phone screen at least it looks convincing and pleasing.
The LX100 shot was in the ‘standard’ JPEG setting, and the phone decided to use ‘flowers’ mode so that would tally with both your points. I guess 'flowers' increases saturation and simulates a narrower DOF.

Thanks for the comparison photos. Modern cellular phones are quite impressive in terms of IQ for daylight snapshots of static subjects like these. But if you shoot the LX100 in RAW and make a medium size print, you'll find more depth, more natural tonal gradations, less shadow noise, better retention of highlight information, more editing headroom, etc. etc. Still, it's easy to see why many folks are happy using their cell phone as their primary camera for snapshots. Happy shooting!

Thanks for the comparison photos. Modern cellular phones are quite impressive in terms of IQ for daylight snapshots of static subjects like these. But if you shoot the LX100 in RAW and make a medium size print, you'll find more depth, more natural tonal gradations, less shadow noise, better retention of highlight information, more editing headroom, etc. etc. Still, it's easy to see why many folks are happy using their cell phone as their primary camera for snapshots. Happy shooting!
Absolutely agree, Jon. The LX100 is one of my favourite ever cameras and I do generally shoot RAW. But for a quick shot I am seriously impressed with the Huawei.

Back in January I bailed out of the SiJ because I couldn't see myself using my phablet exclusively for 29 more days. Well, we're in September and I haven't used anything else since then, lol.
In the meantime I've sold my NEX-7, the Fuji stuff is gathering dust in a box somewhere and I'm pretty happy with what I'm able to get out of my Huawei X2 and (mainly) Snapseed. C'est la vie I guess :D

Last edited:
Well, I'm not ready to ditch my Pen-F, or even my Stylus 1s (a very versatile little piece of kit I find quite useful), but if anyone had told me I'd be able to get the kind of shot I can get in low light from my Note 8 (using the optional raw shooting), I wouldn't have believed it not that long ago. The Pen would clearly have given me a better file in this dimly lit room, but when you don't have it with you, it can't do anything for you. The note jpeg would have smudged detail and I always prefer more noise (provided it is not color noise) to lost detail. I'm very happy to have the shot. Of one of my unofficially adopted
20180905_204116-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
sons in Phonsavan, Laos.

Back