Fuji RAF files not working with Mac Computers

Hi Rico,
Over the last few days Fuji raw files have not be showing preview thumbnails and loading into LL CC. Do you have any thoughts or a work around for this issue. I spoke with Apple and they are aware of the issue, yet not solutions to the problem at this time. I just starting shooting with a Fuji XT2, I am a new Fuji user and I am unsure how to resolve this issue so I can process my images.
Thanks for the help.
Wayne

Its the Lightroom upgrade that came out on the Creative Cloud earlier this week. The only way around it is to roll back the Lightroom upgrade until they put out a fix.

UPDATE: just noticed there is a Camera Raw update now. So installed this AND the new Lightroom and all is well again with XT1 and Pro1 files. Hopefully this will also solve the XT2 issues.

Last edited:
My new Fujifilm XT2 raw files are not compatible with Apple photos which I use mainly for editing. Have informed Apple and also Fuji support. No real help from either. Apple seem to be waiting for Fuji to update software and Fuji are waiting for Apple!! Considering the cost of an XT2 this is a pretty poor show from Fuji!! Anyone else having this issue? I tried some raw files in Lightroom the other day with no success there either. More exclamation marks on the files.!!!!!!!!

Apple doesn't support compressed RAWs, so use a different converter that supports the cameras.

Current Lightroom versions fully support the X-T2.

...Considering the cost of an XT2 this is a pretty poor show from Fuji!!...

Au contraire - actually, I'd call it par for the course for Apple. The number of people who buy an X-T2 AND use Apple AND use Photos as a raw converter is a small subset of a subset of a subset so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Not sure what Fuji has to do with Apple not supporting compressed RAWs, anyway. There are free compressed RAW decoding SDKs for WIN and MAC, but Apple decided not to use them. Maybe because macOS is mostly iOS these days, so anything that doesn't also run on iOS can't be part of macOS.

Why on earth are you using the abomination that is Photos, which by the way is designed to be used by phone or mobile users!

If you have an X-T2 then it will take Apple forever and a day to catch up, Apples ACR has only just recognised the X-Pro2!

Bite the bullet and purchase a proper photo editor e.g. Lightroom or PhotoNinja for example. Download your files straight from the memory card to a folder in the "Finder" and then into your chosen editor! your RAF files will be there but you won't see a thumbnail, So if you shoot in RAW+JPEG the JPEG will show a thumbnail! The process is very simple to do.

Both Lightroom and PhotoNinja recognise X-T2 RAF files!

I keep using Aperture for image management and workshops, and Lightroom for RAW processing, with Iridient on the side for different demosaicing options. Photo Ninja is also quite powerful, C1 isn't an option for me at this time (the CEO has quite an ego and brings too much politics surrounding Fujifilm support or non-support for my taste, so I'll wait how this plays out), and Silkypix 7 isn't the real deal, either.

Rico, I too have Aperture installed on my iMac, but because A,ture hasn't been given any further development, it has fallen behind the likes of Lightroom etc. One thing I didn't like was the way it seemed to hide your files away in a not too obvious location!

Lightroom shows your files up front so to speak, the Adobe subscription method is not very good for the consumer but presumedly OK for Adobe and of course they push the subscription system heavily!

I really quite liked Aperture a lot and even in its parlous state it does treat raw files quite well, such a shame it hasn't been further developed, I did send an email to Mr Cook and I'm still waiting for an answer, so I'm not holding my breath.

My impression is that Apple is not interested in proper photographers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aperture of course was not free, but I understand what you are saying, doesn't make me any less pissed off, but hey time moves on. It is pretty obvious that Aperture was not a money spinner!

Sadly, Aperture was discontinued years ago, but should still work under Sierra. RAW Conversion and Photos are free parts of the OS, but this also means that new cameras are usually only supported with the latest macOS, which is now Sierra.

So I doubt that future Apple Camera RAW updates will be available for El Capitan.

Rico, Aperture still works in Sierra and there has been a recent Camera Raw update under El Capitan which encompassed the X-Pro2. The problem lies in that when Aperture breaks that's it as it is no longer available on the App Store to download!

I bought Aperture around three weeks before they announced they were discontinuing it and support for it. I was more than a little miffed having just paid the full price for it and then knowing I would face having to buy Lightroom as well. Having said all that, I should really have known that you pretty much have to stick with Adobe products from experience with Corel, Quark, etc etc. It is extremely annoying that they have this massive hold on the market, but their size does at least mean that they stay supported and up to date when it comes to new formats and new cameras. Of course, there is always the option of converting to DNG using the free Adobe converter and then using that in pretty much anything else, but it just adds yet another chain in the process and I have not found DNG results as satisfying as going straight from native.

Blythe, Aperture will still work so you don't have to uninstall the app! I believe the version is at Aperture 3.6! Sadly it's functions have been overtaken by the likes of Lightroom etc! I too found it very annoying, so much so I sent a very critical email to Tim Cook, needless to say I didn't get a reply.

Back