Stroll Random Strolls with resurrected vintage compacts FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN IMAGES

sh0wtime

Veteran
Real Name
Adam.
As suggested in the watering hole as something to do while exercising during the Covid lockdown, just to make things a bit more interesting.

After doing a desk job for a decade i've barely walked more than a few hundred metres a day in that time so i've been using the extra time in the long days of social distancing to get out & go for a walk.
First day i was puffing from just walking round the block. 3 weeks later & i'm up to over 9,000 steps today & that included some hills & the stairs in a 4 storey car park :yahoo:
Lung wise it's fine, breathing well & coping with hills etc without needing to stop but my feet hurt & my achilles tendons ache so i might take an easier day tomorrow...
Anyway i've been reluctant to lug a DSLR with me on my walks but have decided to resurrect one of my old compacts to take with me...

After a short search i found my old Lumix LX3 in a drawer. After a much longer search i eventually found the charger :dash2:
Plugged the charger in, popped the battery in & nothing, no lights no anything :wtf: I know batteries can die if left completely discharged for a long period of time (i guess 9 years would be long enough)!
Tried it again a couple of times & up popped the green light, great.
Woke up, tried the battery once full, Cam powered up, reset the clock & date, Checked to see there was a card in there. There was :thumbsup:

So the little LX3 was ready..

Hopefully this might prompt a few of you guys into resurrecting an old compact or P&S & we can see how or if nostalgia is all its cracked up to be? By all means add your images in this thread.
TBH i quite liked using it again, felt more fun & gadget like rather than a serious tool.

My walk today took me alongside the airfield & round to the business centre. Light was bright but a bit boring as it was middle of the day however i do remember older cameras need a lot of light so it was what it was..

pics in next post...

sh0wtime

Veteran
Real Name
Adam.
So, for these there was no shooting in RAW & i deliberately didn't put them though any real editing.
Colours & tones are exactly as the modes on the camera settings applied to the images.
All i've done is a little straighten or crop here & there in iphoto so no fully worked images, all pretty much SOOC
i recalled the LX3 had a good B&W mode & we can find out if that still rings true today....

P1020165.jpg

P1020167.jpg

P1020180.jpg

P1020183.jpg

Lightmancer

Legend
Real Name
Bill Palmer
That's Farnborough! I love that old airship hangar skeleton - industrial archaeology at its best. This is a really nice sequence and a good idea (goes rummaging in the camera drawer...)

sh0wtime

Veteran
Real Name
Adam.
That's Farnborough! I love that old airship hangar skeleton - industrial archaeology at its best. This is a really nice sequence and a good idea (goes rummaging in the camera drawer...)

It's a nice place for a mooch. I see you are fairly local to me as well. Howdy :)

Actually these images look pretty good at this size. not sure they would stand up well to being viewed at full size (too used to large DSLR files nowadays)

I think the real challenge will be finding something decent enough to point the camera at with any regularity...

Last edited:

sh0wtime

Veteran
Real Name
Adam.
LX5 battery on charge today.
Kinda interested to see how this one does as i bought it used as a bundle with the lens tube & screw on wide angle adapter & due to commitments at the time never got round to using it. been in a drawer ever since.
i remember reading (after i'd bought it :whistling:) that it wasn't quite as sharp as the LX3 due to more agressive noise reduction softening detail so i wasn't in any rush to find out i'd bought something potentially worse lol

sh0wtime

Veteran
Real Name
Adam.
Failed miserably. Sky was dull flat & grey. Light was flat & boring. Plus the pics I wanted to take were cluttered with both people and/or vehicles.
then it started to rain slightly.
Hoping for better conditions tomorrow:blush:

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Ricoh GXR with the A12 mount and a Voigtlander Snapshot-Skopar 25mm f/4. These are taken close to my cottage and the area used for the April 2020 Challenge.

200419-1041082.JPG

In the background left of the cab is the gable end of my cottage

200419-1041068.JPG

200419-1041058.JPG

The camera was set to take fine jpeg's, black and white and colour. A little tweaking of these, mostly to lift the shadows. Exposure was set to manual and the inbuilt exposure meter used adjusting shutter speed at the chosen lens aperture, usually f/5.6 or f/8.

Barrie

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom