Stroll Random Strolls with resurrected vintage compacts FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN IMAGES

Inspired by this thread, looked for my Powershot and fired it up for a walk. It was freeing to stroll around without a big bag full of expensive gear. Nice weather for it too.

1980-01-01-00-00-IMG_0162.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

200420-1041131.jpg

Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm f/4.5 @ f/8 (zone focussed)

Yes, I know, that tractor again, rather like the nearby cement mixer it has become my go to test image whilst Graham has it parked just outside my cottage.

200420-1041122.JPG

Voigtlander Color-Heliar 75mm f/2.5 @ f/5.6

Bluebell

200420-1041114.JPG

Voigtlander Color-Heliar 75mm f/2.5 @ f/5.6

Herb-Robert (which has featured in the Challenge 2020, here in context you can judge just how small the plant is in the real world)

Both the flower shots were with the 75mm lens at minimum focus. I was using what Ricoh call Mode 1 which produces "marching ants" highlighting the in focus area. I didn't find it particularly easy to judge focus in bright conditions and with a natural subject with no "hard" edges it is also probably a less reliable method. I will need to try again using Mode 2 which produces a "grey wash" over the image. As for exposure I find that using manual I just need to adjust the speed at my chosen lens aperture and iso until the image colours in the EVF look as I want the final image to appear, then generally speaking the exposure is correct and usually shows slightly under exposed on the exposure meter in the EVF.

Barrie

My seemingly pristine - but actually relatively ancient (11 years old) by modern standards - Ricoh GRD iii sort of fits my definition of a vintage compact - the key word being compact, as it's so tiny, it is very easy to slip into a pocket and almost forget.

I was passing by a rural area, mainly farms with a scattering of houses, when I saw this old long-since abandoned bus.

GRD_Abandoned_Bus.jpg

Taken on a cloudy late afternoon with the weather threatening rain.

Finally took the LX5 out with me. apologies if some of the images are a bit "samey" to the LX3 shots but i went to the same place & i did want to do a comparison of sorts...

Camera set in JPEG mode & as before just a straighten or crop in iphoto ( definitely NO Adobe processed RAWS)

Findings so far... Dynamic B&W mode not as good as LX3, not as contrasty. Nice grey tones & still good but just not quite how i would like it.
I like deep dark blacks & B&W (mostly)
The Auto (hangs head in shame) colour mode was surprisingly good. Metered well with nice colours & coped well with bright light & dark shadows.

Overall, based on these first impressions - I like it. Kinda kicking myself it took me just over 7 years to try it out :whistle:
Just checked & i bought it in March 2013 lol

P1000182.jpg

P1000186.jpg

P1000189.jpg

P1000194.jpg

Last edited:
Finally took the LX5 out with me. apologies if some of the images are a bit "samey" to the LX3 shots but i went to the same place & i did want to do a comparison of sorts...

Camera set in JPEG mode & as before just a straighten or crop in iphoto ( definitely NO Adobe processed RAWS)

Findings so far... Dynamic B&W mode not as good as LX3, not as contrasty. Nice grey tones & still good but just not quite how i would like it.
I like deep dark blacks & B&W (mostly)
The Auto (hangs head in shame) colour mode was surprisingly good. Metered well with nice colours & coped well with bright light & dark shadows.

Overall, based on these first impressions - I like it. Kinda kicking myself it took me just over 7 years to try it out :whistle:
Just checked & i bought it in March 2013 lol View attachment 220367

View attachment 220368

View attachment 220369

View attachment 220370

View attachment 220371

View attachment 220372

Nonetheless, Adam, I have to say that, for me at least, the 'Dynamic B & W' mode on your LX5....is producing some beautiful images - there is a really nice gradation of subtle tones in most of them. I like them quite a lot.

Nonetheless, Adam, I have to say that, for me at least, the 'Dynamic B & W' mode on your LX5....is producing some beautiful images - there is a really nice gradation of subtle tones in most of them. I like them quite a lot.
Thankyou.
looking at them again they’re are pretty good. I guess I was just voicing my first impressions.
These are all in camera JPEG’s just cropped & straightened in iPhoto. I took pretty much the same shots in B&W & colour auto modes. Especially the first 4 pics in my last uploads above. Just switched mode dial between shots.
something elseI might like is the clip on EVF I bought with it.Certainly worth using in bright sunshine as I could barely see the screen today. Even an awful EVF is better than a screen you can’t see 🤷🏼‍♂️

Miguel, i have just looked in the settings & i have found an adjustment where i can choose to add a little more contrast automatically.
might be just the ticket for some nice SOOC images :th_salute:

LX5 again today, All JPEG's again, just a straighten/crop in iphoto & the occasional exposure tweak.
Later in the week i will shoot RAW & put them through CS/LR & see how well they stand up :whistle:

definitely prefer B&W to colour so far. the "happy" setting shoulf be labelled insane, i'll try it on a more std setting next time..

P1000215.jpg

P1000222.jpg

P1000223.jpg

P1000213.jpg

P1000225.jpg

P1000227.jpg

P1000232.jpg

LX5 again today, All JPEG's again, just a straighten/crop in iphoto & the occasional exposure tweak.
Later in the week i will shoot RAW & put them through CS/LR & see how well they stand up :whistle:

definitely prefer B&W to colour so far. the "happy" setting shoulf be labelled insane, i'll try it on a more std setting next time..

View attachment 220849

View attachment 220850

View attachment 220851

View attachment 220852

View attachment 220853

View attachment 220854

View attachment 220857
I really liked my LX5. I just sold it, but I still have an LX7. I thought about getting an LX10, but bought a Sony RX100 instead. Love that camera, too.

I really liked my LX5. I just sold it, but I still have an LX7. I thought about getting an LX10, but bought a Sony RX100 instead. Love that camera, too.

Rockysan, my LX5 is kinda new for me. i bought it 7 years ago & it got lost in the bottom of a bag & i only found it a couple of weeks ago so the pics in this thread are pretty much the only shots i've taken with it. Once i try some raw images in adobe i can see myself being a tad disappointed after a D810 with good glass however if i concentrate on its strengths rather than weaknesses i should be able to enjoy it.
As for an LX7 i do kinda want one of those as well, if one comes along at a sensible price i will buy it for the collection :dance:
i'll still use full frame Nikon for most stuff but i'm going to start using an LX of some kind as an everyday carry :th_salute:

Rockysan, my LX5 is kinda new for me. i bought it 7 years ago & it got lost in the bottom of a bag & i only found it a couple of weeks ago so the pics in this thread are pretty much the only shots i've taken with it. Once i try some raw images in adobe i can see myself being a tad disappointed after a D810 with good glass however if i concentrate on its strengths rather than weaknesses i should be able to enjoy it.
As for an LX7 i do kinda want one of those as well, if one comes along at a sensible price i will buy it for the collection :dance:
i'll still use full frame Nikon for most stuff but i'm going to start using an LX of some kind as an everyday carry :th_salute:
You really can't go wrong with the LX series for every day carry. My LX7 stays in my car. Unless I have a specific need for my other cameras, this suits me fine. Although, my new to me Leica X1 is really trying to win me over as an EDC camera, too. That has brilliant IQ.

Just a little comment: Thanks for this idea. I've carried the little old Nikon P50 with me on and off these past few weeks and really quite enjoyed the results (limited and flawed as they may have been - the P50 certainly isn't a LX3, LX5 or LX7 ...). I liked them enough to post them in "regular" threads; I only just remembered that there would have been a dedicated one ... Sorry for that ;)

M.

Just a little comment: Thanks for this idea. I've carried the little old Nikon P50 with me on and off these past few weeks and really quite enjoyed the results (limited and flawed as they may have been - the P50 certainly isn't a LX3, LX5 or LX7 ...). I liked them enough to post them in "regular" threads; I only just remembered that there would have been a dedicated one ... Sorry for that ;)

M.

I've enjoyed it more thasn i thought i would have.
in good light with the right subject then compacts (even relatively elderly ones) can give reasonably pleasing results.
Certainly OK for viewing online at the resolutions we get on here (y)

It goes back to that old saying about the best camera is the one you have with you at the time :th_salute:

Back