Stroll Random Strolls with resurrected vintage compacts FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN IMAGES

You know, this little old camera (Nikon P50 still) doesn't perform at all reliably, and frankly, framing with the marginal LCD isn't fun (the little viewfinder is even worse) - but if it works, the images are really surprisingly nice. This is from a 1/2.5" 8MP CCD sensor ...

DSCN0929.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCN0931.jpg

M.

Last edited:
Found a battery that held some charge that fitted in the Digilux today so took it on a walk.
As with previous posts these are shot in JPEG & apart from a straighten or crop in iphoto they have not been altered at all, no sharpening or contrast tweaks or anything else.
I will apologise in advance for most of the shots being a bit "samey" to some posted previously but i did want to evaluate the D2 against newer cameras.
i shot the inside pics at Max ISO 400. They are pretty noisy but people like the D2 noise as they say it's grain like...
i guess i'm too used to modern, clean output as i'm not too keen on it. Foolishly i didn't try the same shots at ISO100 as i didn't change settings again til i went outside :whistle:

Now please remember this is a 5mpx camera from 2004 so its a technological dinosaur however the lens is really good & those grey tones are to die for..
This first one is SOOC, no cropping no anything, exactly as shot..

L1040126.jpg

L1040134.jpg

L1040129.jpg

L1040107.jpg

L1040123.jpg

L1040141.jpg

L1040147.jpg

L1040150.jpg

L1040153.jpg

L1040155.jpg

Found a battery that held some charge that fitted in the Digilux today so took it on a walk.
As with previous posts these are shot in JPEG & apart from a straighten or crop in iphoto they have not been altered at all, no sharpening or contrast tweaks or anything else.
I will apologise in advance for most of the shots being a bit "samey" to some posted previously but i did want to evaluate the D2 against newer cameras.
i shot the inside pics at Max ISO 400. They are pretty noisy but people like the D2 noise as they say it's grain like...
i guess i'm too used to modern, clean output as i'm not too keen on it. Foolishly i didn't try the same shots at ISO100 as i didn't change settings again til i went outside :whistle:

Now please remember this is a 5mpx camera from 2004 so its a technological dinosaur however the lens is really good & those grey tones are to die for..
This first one is SOOC, no cropping no anything, exactly as shot..

View attachment 223326

View attachment 223327

View attachment 223328

View attachment 223329

View attachment 223330

View attachment 223331

View attachment 223332

View attachment 223333

View attachment 223334

View attachment 223336
Still captures beautiful images. Nicely done.

Still captures beautiful images. Nicely done.

Yeah it's a nice old thing. it looks great. Real oldtime Leica rangefinder looks but as long as you manage your expectations & keep it sensible it can still deliver some very nice images.
it's a bit slow to operate & needs good light so i guess i should treat it much like a classic car.
Only take it out on a sunny day when you're in no hurry :drinks:

So glad someone resurrected this thread. I’m sure I’ll be able to contribute to this with all the early 2000’s cameras I’ve been gobbling up lately.

Might even entertain snagging one of those cool looking Leica Digilux 2 I’ve been seeing around - since I saw an older post here where someone was sporting some images from it.

After 4 inches of snow, took the girls to a local park for some nature hiking. We had the whole place to ourselves.

SOOC JPG except for image #2. That JPG was massaged a little bit in Nik Analog Efex - Classic Camera 7 preset as a base.

01-19-2024_civic_KMA2_PICT0001.jpg

01-19-2024_civic_KMA2_PICT0014-Edit-2.jpg

01-19-2024_civic_KMA2_PICT0017.jpg

After 4 inches of snow, took the girls to a local park for some nature hiking. We had the whole place to ourselves.

SOOC JPG except for image #2. That JPG was massaged a little bit in Nik Analog Efex - Classic Camera 7 preset as a base.

View attachment 443118

View attachment 443119

View attachment 443120

Very cool set of photos, Andrew... I'm impressed with what you are doing with this neat older camera.
I also have to confess my favorite of these in terms of tonalities and colors is the one you tweaked in Analog Efex Pro - it has a muted richness to it which is very impressive.
Hope to see more from your DiMage excursions!

Processed these from RAW - stayed out longer than I anticipated in the cold today, 11F (-11C), didn't want the dogs out too long.

01-20-2024_cbus_KMA2_PICT0004-Edit.jpg

01-20-2024_cbus_KMA2_PICT0009-Edit.jpg

01-20-2024_cbus_KMA2_PICT0011-Edit.jpg

4 - dxo filmpack6 - Kodak Tri-X 400
01-20-2024_cbus_KMA2_PICT0016-Edit-Edit.jpg

01-20-2024_cbus_KMA2_PICT0018-Edit.jpg

01-20-2024_cbus_KMA2_PICT0026-Edit.jpg

Back