Leica Range finder on the street

Ricoh

Regular
First off I hope I'm posting this in an appropriate forum / sub forum, if not I offer my apology.

Currently I'm using a bunch of M4/3 cameras with tilting screens, so PoV is easily adjusted. My question is this: what is the best way of doing this with a range finder such as the M Type 240? I suspect it's a case of zone focusing and then pointing the camera in the direction, possibly 'blindly', ie without referring to the rangefinder, or using live view, but since the screen doesn't tilt it too has limitations.

How do you street photographers, or others, accomplish varying PoV?

For wide-angle 35mm or more, exactly as you describe. F-stop tight enough to keep things hyper focal or near so. Wide enough to catch your subject(s), crop and straighten in post if you need to.

The tilting VF-2 offers an option I suppose, but you need to be a bit of a contortionist to use it at ground level. I suppose that's one big advantage of a tilting LCD screen, but imagine there would be outrage from the Leica purists if it became available on the successor to the M240.

I shoot with an M-P 240 and I have to say that I do not find myself longing for a tilt screen. The M240 and M-P 240 are cameras that have been designed to adhere to a design philosophy of minimalism which is as it should be IMHO.

The more features that are added to a camera, the bigger and heavier it becomes. I'd rather have the M-P in its current configuration than I would have it become a monstrosity the size of a Mamiya 7II due to adding more bells and whistles that only complicate using the camera.

Back