Sony [rant] Got my FE70-200 F4 today

jyc860923

Top Veteran
Name
贾一川
Sold my Canon, got the Sony, no, let me rephrase that in the correct order.

I already hate the Sony colours.

Bought the Sony a6400 and 50 1.8 OSS to see if the animal eye af is as good as I wanted, ended up going out in a rainy day today to sell all my Canon gears and was originally set out to get the Zeiss 24 1.8 and perhaps an 18-105 F4 in the used market.

And when I got there, almost all the stores were taking the day off for a national holiday, those who knows China knows that they never take a day off unless someone dies, what are the odds considering this is the 2nd time in a decade I traded any photography gears at our local market instead of online, anyway that means I didn't get to get hold of the lenses I wanted to try.

The selling part was without much trouble, the used market still loves Canon A LOT like they've never heard of Sony or anything else (but a Sigma store was open with DPs and SDs in it), whereas online everybody's definitely talking about things that doesn't exist in the real world like animal eye af, hah. Anyway, when a 70-200 f4 shows up at about $800 in one of the open stores that sells hundreds of used Canon gears and literally 4 Sony lenses, I had to get it, I had to.

So here it is sitting on my desk, I knew I was getting this lens at some point but now it seems unjustified. It's light, sharp, weather-sealed and I haven't tested it much so far, I've been missing the Oly 40-150 2.8 from when I had my m43 system, maybe it's about time I shoot some telephoto again.

I'm a bit confused with our forum though, it doesn't seem like we have dedicated image threads for gears, like perhaps the a6400 or Sony APS-C image thread, or in this case the FE70-200 F4 G OSS image thread, should I go ahead and create those or do we not do it like that?

Below is one I shot with the 50mm 1.8 this morning.
DSC00185_ILCE-6400_1_1000_1.8_320_50.0 mm_E 50mm F1.8 OSS.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Sad to see yet another Canonist bite the dust.

All I can recommend you is to shoot raw and and develop a basic preset that would tune the color to your liking. For example, I have issues with Olympus greens (and now Fuji greens too) and vastly prefer what Leica colors are out of the box. So I did a preset that gets automatically applied on import -- much happier and don't even think about the color differences anymore.

I'm a bit confused with our forum though, it doesn't seem like we have dedicated image threads for gears, like perhaps the a6400 or Sony APS-C image thread, or in this case the FE70-200 F4 G OSS image thread, should I go ahead and create those or do we not do it like that?
Go ahead and start any thread you see fit. I do that occasionally over the Leica subforum and nobody has come to whine about it. I wish more people would start new threads!

Sad to see yet another Canonist bite the dust.

All I can recommend you is to shoot raw and and develop a basic preset that would tune the color to your liking. For example, I have issues with Olympus greens (and now Fuji greens too) and vastly prefer what Leica colors are out of the box. So I did a preset that gets automatically applied on import -- much happier and don't even think about the color differences anymore.

Go ahead and start any thread you see fit. I do that occasionally over the Leica subforum and nobody has come to whine about it. I wish more people would start new threads!
Appreciate that Mike.

I do shoot raw, and that's the sad part, with the Sony, even raw is much harder to work with, Canon clearly did something with their colours. And as someone who used to shoot m43 for 6 years, Fuji for 1 year and Canon for 9 months before switching to Sony, as funny as that I do see myself as a loyal Canonist, if not for the animal eye af I'd probably have found the system to stay in.

You reminded me though, I'll take a look at the free CaptureOne Express for Sony to see if colours are any better.

I would spend maybe 20-30 minutes in darktable, having a desirable target image (Leica Q) and a fresh Olympus image side by side. Then I'd tinker with the Olympus image, adjust default sharpening, saturation per channel. Naturally I couldn't quite replicate the look 100% but I found that the half-success was enough and I was able to simplify it down to one operation and make it apply to all Olympus pictures on import.

Now that I think about it, in the past I did work quite some time to get raw files from Panasonic, Olympus, and Fuji to look OK ish, which is what I don't remember ever did with the Canon. I'm going through all of that again!!

Maybe @Kevin could add a "showcase" subforum to some of the other Camera makers......like the Fuji and Leica ones.

The problem with Sony isn't so much the colors, but Sony glass! It leans way too blue for my taste. You can alleviate some of your color issues shooting other brand glass. For example Samyang glass runs much warmer and punchier, giving Sony images a different look. Same goes with adapting Canon or Nikon lenses.

The problem with Sony isn't so much the colors, but Sony glass! It leans way too blue for my taste. You can alleviate some of your color issues shooting other brand glass. For example Samyang glass runs much warmer and punchier, giving Sony images a different look. Same goes with adapting Canon or Nikon lenses.
Sometimes it even feels like split toning, that's when I knew it wasn't simply a colour temperature issue, but the light spectrum the lenses let through.

Maybe @Kevin could add a "showcase" subforum to some of the other Camera makers......like the Fuji and Leica ones.
For the short term I went ahead and created a new thread prefix called "Sony Showcase". When creating a new thread here in the Sony forum you can choose that prefix to indicate it's a gear showcase item instead of a gear discussion item.

1568386984473.png

Longer term, the existing 'showcase' sub-forums are a result of when the various communities were brought together under the "Cameraderie" umbrella leading to some out of synch conventions. I'll throw up a poll later today in the feedback area to see what you guys/gals prefer as a community, (a) dedicated sub-forums like the Fuji & Leica sub-forums, (b) to have 'Showcase' threads in the main forum (eg: Threads with prefix "Sony" and "Sony Showcase" both in the same forum), or (c) the 'showcase' threads should be in the Photo Galleries section. If either option (a) or (c) is the winner then we can just move any "Sony Showcase" prefixed threads at that time.

Yep, people are always welcome & encouraged to either create new threads or post in existing threads and you won't find anybody around here complaining about it. If any of the moderators team thinks the thread/spot might be in the wrong spot it's in their powers to move it accordingly but with the relaxed atmosphere around here I don't see that happening often.

Appreciate that Mike.

I do shoot raw, and that's the sad part, with the Sony, even raw is much harder to work with, Canon clearly did something with their colours. And as someone who used to shoot m43 for 6 years, Fuji for 1 year and Canon for 9 months before switching to Sony, as funny as that I do see myself as a loyal Canonist, if not for the animal eye af I'd probably have found the system to stay in.

You reminded me though, I'll take a look at the free CaptureOne Express for Sony to see if colours are any better.
You might consider buying an X-rite Colorchecker Passport and make a profile for your camera. It's cheaper than buying the Capture One full version, even the version limited to Sony :).

Back