Birds Raptor workshop

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
A few images from a recent photo workshop I attended at an avian rescue center. These birds can never be released into the wild, some because their injuries were so severe they cannot fend for themselves, and others because they were human imprinted. Unfortunately, some misguided individuals attempt to raise raptor hatchlings from time to time. The birds become used to being with people, and never learn how to be wild animals. The situation is irreversible, and they will attempt to maintain close contact with people if released back into the wild. The tiny Kestrel came to the rescue center after he started trying to land on people’s shoulders at our State Capitol. The Great Horned Owl was confiscated from a guy with a history of illegal possession of wild animals. Imagine if she got into the wild and tried landing on people with her 300 pounds per square inch grip. G80 + Olympus 75-300 II. Next time I go I’m going to rent a better lens.

P1010838a.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010839a.JPG

P1010860a.JPG

P1020055a.JPG

P1020079a.JPG

P1020150a.JPG

P1020199a.JPG

P1020239a.JPG

P1020431D.JPG

P1020434D.JPG

It's a real shame to hear things like that. We went to an ape sanctuary once and they had some chimps that spend their time rolling grass to make cigarettes, and they all had to be neutered because they are incapable of bringing up young.

You got some great pictures though - I especially liked #1 and #2.

Back