Feedback Rated feedback suggestion

I'd like that, would be very nice to get a feel for how a photo is received by the various folks here. I myself use the sequence Like - Cool - Winner to show how much I like a picture. A 1-5 star rating or a 1-10 school grade (Dutch system :) ) or something similar would be better.

On the other hand, I fully understand when fellow members abhor this kind of rating. I'd like to know, but I must say that my judgment on my own photos hardly ever changes through valuations of others, be it members here or at my photoclub.

My initial reaction towards this suggestion is "sounds like a nice idea".

But what I really would love to see is more verbal interaction and comments about pictures. The best photo forums tend to be those that have no emoji reaction systems in place.

And secondly we have our quiet and (too?) polite culture here. Would anyone dare to use stars 1-2 of a rating system of 1-5? Will "3/5" be the new "it sucks blah"?

Stars and numbers naturally lead to making averages and obsessing over ratings. At least currently you can't really make arithmetic over "thumbs-ups" and "groans".

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Here's an idea. Instead of just "Like" or "Winner", the forum should have something akin to Lightroom's Star Rating System. This would give the shooter actual feedback on the image or set.
My first reaction would be that for those who truly want to be rated on what they post that they use the "Critique Wanted" and "Advice Wanted" prefixes more often. That way they'll know beforehand that they may be getting some less than favorable responses. Opening all posts/images to an unsolicited quantifiable rating could be problematic.

I'd be interested in suggestions for getting members to be more aware of how to request critiques. Thoughts, anybody? 🤔

wee-pics

Hall of Famer
Name
Walter
Like Ad I'm using Like - Cool - Wow - Winner to show my reaction in a graduation. And when in any way my feelings are especially touched it's the heart emoji.
What I appreciate in this forum - and this is far more important to me than any emojis - is verbal feedback.
And that's exactly where the difference between cam and other forums lies: the friendly appreciation and critique from its other posters.
No bashing or unfriendly comments, just appreciation signalled and friendly helpful remarks.
And when I see the :hmmm: under one of my posts I take it as a signal that a little information might be needed about the "thing" shown.

So in my eyes we don't need any "school grading system" nor any more emojis.
For me the list of emojis is sufficient. And when I use the "groan" emoji it refers to the content displayed, never the quality of the photo.
It's just to express my very personal feelings that the photo evokes.

@Kevin: If I wanted critique for a post I just mentioned this in my posts ... and always got the helpful reponse. Nothing else needed on this side from me.
If at all one more emoji were needed imho it would be one saying "put this post on the start page asap" for those posts I find outstanding.

Name
Matt
Like Ad I'm using Like - Cool - Wow - Winner to show my reaction in a graduation. And when in any way my feelings are especially touched it's the heart emoji.
What I appreciate in this forum - and this is far more important to me than any emojis - is verbal feedback.
And that's exactly where the difference between cam and other forums lies: the friendly appreciation and critique from its other posters.
No bashing or unfriendly comments, just appreciation signalled and friendly helpful remarks.
And when I see the :hmmm: under one of my posts I take it as a signal that a little information might be needed about the "thing" shown.

So in my eyes we don't need any "school grading system" nor any more emojis.
For me the list of emojis is sufficient. And when I use the "groan" emoji it refers to the content displayed, never the quality of the photo.
It's just to express my very personal feelings that the photo evokes.

@Kevin: If I wanted critique for a post I just mentioned this in my posts ... and always got the helpful reponse. Nothing else needed on this side from me.
If at all one more emoji were needed imho it would be one saying "put this post on the start page asap" for those posts I find outstanding.
I was wrestling with a lengthy post yesterday that essentially boiled down to this - but Walter said it way more graciously than I would have. Thanks for that!

I use the emojis overwhelmingly to show my appreciation for what others put on this board - and I do actually appreciate that usually, they present their best efforts or are convinced for good reasons that it's right to show the images as-is, so I use "like" very frequently - which is made even easier by my habit to only look at images containg subject matter I'm interested in. I use "groan" and "angry" to comment on image content exclusively, never on quality - if the latter's the matter, I usually don't comment at all except if I have a very specific proposition to make (e.g. an obvious option to crop or a simple correction). I use "Oh?", "Hmmm ..." and "Neutral" rarely because they certainly can be misinterpreted (as I have witnessed a couple of times); however, "Hmmm ..." is the most nuanced to me and shows that I'm not indifferent to something but can't really make up my mind about it (see above ... Kevin's post I agree with in principle, but I'm not sure about how - or even if! - people should be encouraged to ask for critique). Walter's take on "Hmmm ..." is definitely more healthy than mine, to be honest.

I fully agree with Walter's view on this. Grading isn't going to make anyone any happier on the whole, but some will definitely be unhappy about it. If you feel the need to grade images, curate your own. That's definitely the best contribution to the overall quality of the images shown on this board you can make.

M.

Yes, after hearing your responses and pondering it a bit more, I agree I don't want to make this haven another competitive arena.
If I really care, I should ask for feedback, but mostly just see how others interpret the subject and, often, gain a bit of insight or inspiration from someone's imagem

Thanks everyone for thinking about the idea. Glad I'm here.

Coksic

Top Veteran
Name
Mladen Čoko
Yes, after hearing your responses and pondering it a bit more, I agree I don't want to make this haven another competitive arena.
If I really care, I should ask for feedback, but mostly just see how others interpret the subject and, often, gain a bit of insight or inspiration from someone's imagem

Thanks everyone for thinking about the idea. Glad I'm here.
It's nice to exchange opinions! You put it perfectly yourself - it's about inspiration and the exchange of photographic experience! Cheers!

Although I thought I was in favour of a rating system, I agree with almost everything that's been said here. So let's not introduce such a system.

But what I really would love to see is more verbal interaction and comments about pictures.
When something strikes me in a photo that I can put to words, I will make a text comment, but only if it's something positive. I'll only post negative comments if the photo poster is explicitly asking for critique. In all other cases I assume that the poster is happy with what he/she has posted, so who am I to detract from that?