Feedback Rated feedback suggestion

The 'appreciate‘ emoji has a lot of contextual nuances. Everything from 'love this' to 'I am thankful for your input/concern' to 'I understand and identify with your situation/empathy', etc, etc.

Almost all the other choices also have contextual nuances.

I also understand that some people see them in a very restricted, singular way. That merely reflects the incredible diversity of our species. Some see things as black and white, some see those same things in infinite shades of grey.

There is no right or wrong in any of this.

Personally, I am grateful for the range of responses possible, and understand Matt's frustration with the whole subject.

Keep it simple. Can't see a need for more than 4-5. If you feel the need to comment further just write a post.

IMH2¢
For me, the choice is very helpful; I review a lot of posts on a regular basis and am glad to be able to express my reaction quickly in more than four to five ways. Reacting by posting isn't always an option for me - or I'd have to further reduce the number of threads I browse regularily. I've had to shorten the list as it is due to increased traffic.

M.

I'll do some queries this weekend to see if there any reactions with very little usage to consider removing them.
As of the moment (2022-07-17 @ 10AM) below are the usage counts. The counts are inclusive of anywhere a 'reaction' can be used so that means the forums, PMs, gallery, resources, and everywhere else. The bulk of course are coming from the forums.

I don't want to go overboard by adding a bunch of new ones so keeping the number of reactions to the current count or less will be done. With that in mind at the moment I'm inclined to kill "Neutral", replace "Appreciate" with a different image, and change the heart to "Love". And maybe merge "Sad" and "Crying" though not sure which image to use at the moment.

Usage CountNameImage
1,252,954​
1f44d.svg
83,987​
Cool
1f60e.svg
35,786​
Winner
1f3c6.svg
25,075​
Funny
1f604.svg
22,213​
Wow
1f632.svg
17,535​
Agree
2611.svg
15,209​
Appreciate
2764.svg
5,228​
Informative
2139.svg
3,405​
Sad
2639.svg
2,258​
Vulcan Salute
1f596.svg
2,141​
Groan
1f629.svg
1,874​
Hhhhhmm...
1f914.svg
833​
Oh?:cautious:
590​
Crying
1f622.svg
532​
Angry
1f621.svg
144​
Neutral
1f610.svg

Just for the sake of comparison, below are the images & titles a certain evil company uses. We won't use their images, instead we use either the images we've licensed from JoyPixels or the public Google Noto project.

1658069121561.png

As of the moment (2022-07-17 @ 10AM) below are the usage counts. The counts are inclusive of anywhere a 'reaction' can be used so that means the forums, PMs, gallery, resources, and everywhere else. The bulk of course are coming from the forums.

I don't want to go overboard by adding a bunch of new ones so keeping the number of reactions to the current count or less will be done. With that in mind at the moment I'm inclined to kill "Neutral", replace "Appreciate" with a different image, and change the heart to "Love". And maybe merge "Sad" and "Crying" though not sure which image to use at the moment.

Usage CountNameImage
1,252,954​
1f44d.svg
83,987​
Cool
1f60e.svg
35,786​
Winner
1f3c6.svg
25,075​
Funny
1f604.svg
22,213​
Wow
1f632.svg
17,535​
Agree
2611.svg
15,209​
Appreciate
2764.svg
5,228​
Informative
2139.svg
3,405​
Sad
2639.svg
2,258​
Vulcan Salute
1f596.svg
2,141​
Groan
1f629.svg
1,874​
Hhhhhmm...
1f914.svg
833​
590​
Crying
1f622.svg
532​
Angry
1f621.svg
144​
Neutral
1f610.svg

Just for the sake of comparison, below are the images & titles a certain evil company uses. We won't use their images, instead we use either the images we've licensed from JoyPixels or the public Google Noto project.

View attachment 323826
All those suggestions are spot on. But how about an old man in a rocker yelling "get off my lawn!"

Usage CountNameImage
1,252,954​
1f44d.svg
83,987​
Cool
1f60e.svg
35,786​
Winner
1f3c6.svg
25,075​
Funny
1f604.svg
22,213​
Wow
1f632.svg
17,535​
Agree
2611.svg
15,209​
Appreciate
2764.svg
5,228​
Informative
2139.svg
3,405​
Sad
2639.svg
2,258​
Vulcan Salute
1f596.svg
2,141​
Groan
1f629.svg
1,874​
Hhhhhmm...
1f914.svg
833​
590​
Crying
1f622.svg
532​
Angry
1f621.svg
144​
Neutral
1f610.svg

View attachment 323826
Thanks for that! I *do* think the "Care" emoji - or something similar - would work well for "appreciate" and solve that issue. Everything else is right along the lines

Strong negative emotions are used rarely, but still show up; only "neutral" fails to registers significantly (as predicted/observed) - I feel partly responsible for it ever being chosen. Of course, we had only "like" for *years*, so the "cool" and "winner" make a very respectable showing and emphasise our preselection for giving positive feedback.

I think the list also shows that "Oh?" is seen as more critical than "Hm ..." which I'd fully agree with. So ... I still think we have a viable selection and it works, no need for major culling - except for swapping the "appreciate" emoji and replacing "neutral" with "love" ...

M.

OK, let's try this out....
  • "Appreciate" is now clapping hands. I'm not totally sold on using this image because, to me at least, at first glance it could be mistaken for a 'praying' hands. Let's see how it goes.
  • "Love It" has been added and is the plain red heart.
  • "Neutral" has been disabled.
EDIT: "Crying" has been disabled and existing reactions merged into "Sad".

Last edited:
For what it's worth, another site I have been involved with had the same software platform. They have these emoji.

1658717083149.png

Respectively these are like, agree, funny, winner, informative, wow, and appreciate. That's all that was available, though you could post and use smilies as is also available here. Just another perspective.

OK, let's try this out....
  • "Appreciate" is now clapping hands. I'm not totally sold on using this image because, to me at least, at first glance it could be mistaken for a 'praying' hands. Let's see how it goes.
  • "Love It" has been added and is the plain red heart.
  • "Neutral" has been disabled.
EDIT: "Crying" has been disabled and existing reactions merged into "Sad".
Before I read this, I already saw the new ones. I recognized the clapping hands as such and thought they meant "bravo" :oops:
The tooltip on hoover indicated "appreciate" so, all's clear :) (y)

Good point. Dang it, now we really need a different "appreciate" image.

Thinking out loud, 'thumbs up' would work (at least for my generation/demographic 🤣) but since that is already the default "Like" I'm wondering if "appreciate" should be chopped and merged into "Like". 🤔
That's exactly what I was afraid of - please, please, please don't shoot down the only way of politely saying "thank you" in a hurry! That said, I don't know if👌would work for everyone, but it would for me ...

People will adjust - or we look for another emoji; but I need "appreciate" way, way more often than "love it". If "appreciate" goes the way of the dodo, we've truely shot ourselves in the knee ...

M.

That's exactly what I was afraid of - please, please, please don't shoot down the only way of politely saying "thank you" in a hurry! That said, I don't know if👌would work for everyone, but it would for me ...

People will adjust - or we look for another emoji; but I need "appreciate" way, way more often than "love it". If "appreciate" goes the way of the dodo, we've truely shot ourselves in the knee ...

M.
Totally agree, Matt.

'Appreciate' has a lot of slightly different and nuanced meanings. A very broad spectrum emoji indeed.

Back