Fuji RAW Converters

Lainer

Regular
I would like to know what the absolute best converter is for the RAW files coming out of the Fuji X Series cameras. I have a Fuji X-E1. I hear it is Capture One, and a close second is Light Room, (not sure which is their highest version). What do we have to look forward to in regards to better handling of RAW files from Adobe or other programs? Any news about it? I am getting frustrated with not being able to get the best out of the RAW file. https://www.fujixspot.com/images/smilies/mad.png

I own and use all (OS X compatible) RAW converters with X-Trans support. For me, Silkypix 5 is currently offering the best package. But I also use the other solutions depending on my subject.

Being a Linux guy, I've tried the various things I could find and have had terrible results. By terrible I mean entirely unusable. Would love a proper plugin for any of the packages (or for DCRaw), but for now I'm limited to in-camera processing and jpegs. Though I confess that it's not been much of a burden, it would be nice to have the choice.

t for now I'm limited to in-camera processing and jpegs.

I've never used much in camera processing of RAW files on my cameras (Canon/Olympus) since they are both supported well by external RAW processors. What happens once you remove the RAW files from the camera and place them on your PC/MAC. Can you save them back to an SD card and then process them in camera later if you need to? Or does the bundled software basically do the same thing? (Apologies if this is a stupid question)

Being a Linux guy, I've tried the various things I could find and have had terrible results. By terrible I mean entirely unusable. Would love a proper plugin for any of the packages (or for DCRaw), but for now I'm limited to in-camera processing and jpegs. Though I confess that it's not been much of a burden, it would be nice to have the choice.

I agree C O M P L E T E L Y !!!

I don't know. I suppose it could be done, but that would be a vast pain, wouldn't it. (And I think Macs write a little something to the card, which makes the camera very unhappy.)

Oh, well -- that's the price of being pioneers. At least we don't have to make our own albumen emulsion and coat paper with it, or develop pictures with mercury fumes!

I think we should have an eye on LightZone. This program offered very powerful RAW processing but unfortunatly was abandoned at the end of 2011. Now that its license turned to Open Source there is a team of enthusiasts struggling for revival.

LightZone claims to use an approach for demosaicing that origins from interpolation techniques in electromagnetic field measurements. Sounds at least interesting...

This is the website of the project: LightZone | Open-source digital darkroom software for Windows/Mac/Linux

I would like to know what the absolute best converter is for the RAW files coming out of the Fuji X Series cameras. I have a Fuji X-E1. I hear it is Capture One, and a close second is Light Room, (not sure which is their highest version). What do we have to look forward to in regards to better handling of RAW files from Adobe or other programs? Any news about it? I am getting frustrated with not being able to get the best out of the RAW file. https://www.fujixspot.com/images/smilies/mad.png

Sounds frustrating.

What particular aspects of conversion are not working for you? Can you post some examples of conversions that show the issues you are having?

Sounds frustrating.

What particular aspects of conversion are not working for you? Can you post some examples of conversions that show the issues you are having?

As you can see here (to the LEFT raw in silky - to the RIGHT jpg) i'm simply UNABLE to reproduce the pattern of the skin. the delicacy without dots of jpg... and the color is poor. This is a normal "no setting" in silky. something can be changed but the result is not as jpg.

View attachment 580

Attachments

• Schermata 2013-02-20 alle 04.01.17.jpg
    Schermata 2013-02-20 alle 04.01.17.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 274
As can you see here (left raw in silky - right jpg) i'm simply UNABLE to reproduce the pattern of the skin. the delicacy without dots of jpg... and the color is poor. This is a normal "no setting" in silky. something can be changed but the result is not as jpg.

View attachment 580

I see your frustration. Nicely made photograph by the way.

I'll assume you know SP well. I suggest you download a trial of LR and C1. I am more familiar with LR and it should be ale to achieve what you want. The issues with LR and the RAF files are unlikely, in my experience, to appear in an image like this.

It seems a good idea flysurfer so:

- here is a test jpg file SOOC
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=tGk2XGzvH

- here is the relative test raf file
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=0bSugxkLC

- here is another test jpg file SOOC
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=7P0zZNY0x

- here is another relative test raf file
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NFR40nPyn

You are free to click the blue "download" button to download file and try exercise of conversion with silkypix.

You can upload the jpg (or tif) resulting and relative instructions (.doc, .rtf) in the same way in www-qfpost.com (free service)
Good job, i'm ready to learn...

PeterPrism

This is your JPEG:

8497961110_88c818712d_b.jpg

This is my default JPEG from SP5:

8497961496_08e3c69d7d_b.jpg

This is how I'd process the image:

8497962180_4437df898b_b.jpg

Again, your JPEG:

8496858281_ae9207d4eb_b.jpg

My SP5 default JPEG:

8496858583_122e176114_b.jpg

My actual processing:

8498165152_4e4db23bba_b.jpg

Obviously, there are some differences in color and gradation, as SP5 has different film modes than Fuji's built-in converter, but it's certainly possible to correct such differences in SP5 or Aperture or Lightroom etc.

OTOH, instead of copying the in-camera gradations, I simply try to create my own look that I think fits a particular image best.

Back