Fuji RAW Processing for next generation of the X-Trans sensor

aquaCA

Rookie
Current owners of X-trans sensor cameras like the X-Pro1 and X-E1 have already been down this road but for soon to be owners of the X20 and X100S this may be something they will have to consider. It has been a hot topic in many forums. Popular imaging software like Photoshop and Lightroom (both use ACR) produce less than ideal results when processing X-Trans raw files, Aperture and Dx0 don't even provide support for that sensor or have demonstrated willingness to support it in the near future. many say they are happy with the JPEG files produced in camera. The alternative to ACR and Aperture include these non-mainstream raw converters (a non-exhausting list I believe):

- Raw File Converter EX - a free/included with the camera Silkypix product (Windows/Mac)
- Silkypix Developer StudioPro 5 - current paid Silkypix product (Windows/Mac)
- Capture One 7.02 - Phase One's imaging software (Windows 64bit/Mac)
- AccuRaw - still in beta (Mac)
- Raw Photo Processor 64 - aka RPP, a donationware application (Mac)
- Oloneo PhotoEngine - DCRAW based (Windows)
- PaintShop Pro X5 - (Windows)

All of the above may introduce processing issues and potential workflow changes. Some of the issues observed were described as "watercolor effect", color smearing, moire, artifacts, zipper effect. The first 4 in the list were found to be the ones where these effects are less noticeable but there's no consensus yet.

So, what are your plans for imaging processing when you get your new X20/X100S or are you even concerned about it?

BBW, just to clarify I have a X100, X-Pro1 and now I also have the X20 on order. Personally, I'm very happy with my camera choices even being definitely a fan of raw development vs OOC JPEG. So, while my post may sound a little negative, the reality is that there are also a lot of happy X-Trans users using ACR (LR4 & PS) and other applications to develop their raw files. However, the issues do exist with a diverse degree of severity/tolerance and must be taken into account. I'm also positive that these are just a young sensor's "growing pains".

By the way, this photo in our flickr stream is wonderful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/8434344294/

Thanks aquaCA, I'm sure you're right about the tolerance levels thing. I'd probably be fine with it. ;-)

And thanks so much for your compliment regarding my "Christo" image.

Back