RAW processing for Olympus M5 Mk3 images

I just checked. Adobe went to the subscription model 2011 - 12. I used it for one year, as I was working 0.8 FTE at that time. Realised I never used the photoshop aspect of it, and had PSE if I needed/wanted cloning or localized sharpening. Reverted to the standalone Lr which I've used ever since. So that makes it cheap software. DxO PL5 has the potential to be equally cheap for me if I don't need to upgrade.

@Rose McGill I hope you will be satisfied with PL5!
There are some limitations as with all programs, but since you have LR and PSe you can always use those from PL5 by exporting to application.

Will be interesting to hear your final thoughts on PL5.

So far it seems to do everything I might have wished, but I am still very much getting used to how it it works! One thing I do like, although I am very clumsy with it, is the local adjustments. And it does produce lovely clear images. Only processed a few photos, and still 30 days to go on the trial :). But looking good ....

I DO like how I have the option of exporting to Lr or PSE, or saving to disc.

So far it seems to do everything I might have wished, but I am still very much getting used to how it it works! One thing I do like, although I am very clumsy with it, is the local adjustments. And it does produce lovely clear images. Only processed a few photos, and still 30 days to go on the trial :). But looking good ....

I DO like how I have the option of exporting to Lr or PSE, or saving to disc.
If you have any questions just ask, I will try to answer and I know that Lyle @WhidbeyLVR who is better then me a PP also will try to help.

Are you trialing the Filmpack and Viewpoint also? They will be added into the general PL5 program so you get all the functionality in one place.
It does not add complexity just new functions in PL5.

If you have any questions just ask, I will try to answer and I know that Lyle @WhidbeyLVR who is better then me a PP also will try to help.

Are you trialing the Filmpack and Viewpoint also? They will be added into the general PL5 program so you get all the functionality in one place.
It does not add complexity just new functions in PL5.

Thanks. I've really appreciated the way people have helped. Reminds of years ago when I dabbled in Linux, and would have three different versions running on three old PCs. Can't imagine now how I managed it!

I just have PL5, and Nik, which I've had for a long time, since it was free, but have upgraded it, as it is one of my favourite softwares. I'm not sure if I'll need or want the other two ....

I really enjoy how everyone helps .... true community spirit.

Buying the bundle of PL, Filmpack and Viewpoint is a little bit more expensive then just PL, but Filmpack and Viewpoint is on a much slower update cycle maybe 3 years between upgrades. So your yearly cost will stay low and upgrading Filmpack and Viewpoint might not be necessary.
For a little bit more money down now, you will be fine for years to come at least when it comes to Filmpack and Viewpoint, PL might add some nice features that you want so upgrading that might be at least a want to do.
Now I will stop saying anything more about that!:D

Buying the bundle of PL, Filmpack and Viewpoint is a little bit more expensive then just PL, but Filmpack and Viewpoint is on a much slower update cycle maybe 3 years between upgrades. So your yearly cost will stay low and upgrading Filmpack and Viewpoint might not be necessary.
For a little bit more money down now, you will be fine for years to come at least when it comes to Filmpack and Viewpoint, PL might add some nice features that you want so upgrading that might be at least a want to do.
Now I will stop saying anything more about that!:D

If I didn't have Lightroom I would go for the film pack, I don't know yet what viewpoint does. Lr has various film simulations, which I have used in the past, though not recently. I have also fiddled in Lr and PSE in the past to simulate film effects, but I mainly rely on Nik.

Happy for you to say anything you like about the software, and I'm very glad you have said what you have, as it made me look below the surface, and realise I hadn't given DxO a fair trial! Also, I had seen your images on DD, and thought I must be missing something, as they were so good.

Rose, for all quick and dirty stuff, like renaming, etc, just use FastStone Viewer.
It's cheap (free), and works with both JPEGs and RAWs.

Was rereading this thread and noticed that FastStone can also be used to convert RAW to jpeg, so thought I had better check it out. (More learning - phew!). Luckily I enjoy learning new stuff. Have downloaded and just starting to read how to use it!

Rose, I am going to again recommend just using ExifTool to change the camera entry from E-M5MarkIII to E-M1MarkII because it is free and doesn't alter your workflow.

You can find ExifTool here:

For simplicity, install the Stand-Alone Windows Executable and follow the installation instructions here:

Then download and install ExifToolGUI for Windows (instructions for installing ExifTool are repeated there, too):

Open ExifToolGUI and navigate to the folder with your image and select it and follow the instructions in red:

View attachment 315914

It should save your original with a modified file extension before writing the modified file.

Then process as usual.

So ....... jsut for the record. After a lot of Googling and fiddling I got the programme installed and modified the camera details, as above. However Lightroom still doesn't recognise the files. Back to working on the other alternatives .....

So ....... jsut for the record. After a lot of Googling and fiddling I got the programme installed and modified the camera details, as above. However Lightroom still doesn't recognise the files. Back to working on the other alternatives .....

Very strange. This has worked for me before with earlier versions of DxO which would not recognize my camera, but I guess LR is somehow different. Sorry to have gotten your hopes up and put you through that.

For those using DxO Pl5, how do you import and save your RAW files please?

Thanks

[Edit: I initially answered your import question with export advice.]

DxO doesn’t modify your raw file, and keeps the adjustments in a secondary “sidecar” DOP file. So I just copy the raw files from my SD card to a folder on my hard drive. I name the folder something like “2022-06-13 Flowers and Clouds” so alphabetical order is also chronological. Then I navigate to that folder in DxO.

I don’t have much use for proprietary catalogue features and prefer using operating system file structure for organization.

Last edited:
For those using DxO Pl5, how do you import and save your RAW files please?

Thanks
I usually go to where the raw file I want to edit is in file explorer and then right click on the file and choose "Open in DxO Photolab 5", this opens PL5 in that directory so it loads all the files in the directory.

As Lyle said, processing in PL5 is non-destructive so you can always go back to the original.
Saving processed files is just exporting them in another format, DNG, TIFF, JPG.

The changes you have made on the Raw file are in the sidecar file.
The .dop sidecar file is just a text file in a ini format so you could conceivably do changes in the file, but that is not something I would recommend.

I usually go to where the raw file I want to edit is in file explorer and then right click on the file and choose "Open in DxO Photolab 5", this opens PL5 in that directory so it loads all the files in the directory.
I use Xnview (the 8-bit version) to view the images, and what I do is simply click on the raw image in Xnview with the left mouse button and drag it to the PL5 icon on my monitor screen. By the way, I tried the 16-bit Xnview that you had suggested to me [in a parallel universe] but I missed getting Exif by pressing Alt-Enter on my keyboard so I went back to the 8-bit version . . .

Okay thanks for the info regarding importing and exporting. I hadn't realised DxO didn't save the RAW file until yesterday .... so used to Lightroom ..... what I did yesterday and today was make a new file, the copy and paste in Explorer. Then open DxO. I guess I'll fiddle a bit a bit until a system of doing things that suits me.

While I was walking the dog today (in a gale, so it was short) I wondered if altering the camera to M1Mk2 would work as the M5Mk3 has the same sized sensor. Short answer, it doesn't. I assume the Lightroom profiles have some sort of code in them.

Anyway I'll continue playing with DxO PL5 - I noticed the other day that when I export direct to PSE it crashes. I'm not sure why, wondering if I had it set to itff, which I'd tried with Lightroom, but not sure. Might try again today with jpeg just so I can name them.

Once again thanks for all the assistance.

Okay thanks for the info regarding importing and exporting. I hadn't realised DxO didn't save the RAW file until yesterday .... so used to Lightroom ..... what I did yesterday and today was make a new file, the copy and paste in Explorer. Then open DxO. I guess I'll fiddle a bit a bit until a system of doing things that suits me.

While I was walking the dog today (in a gale, so it was short) I wondered if altering the camera to M1Mk2 would work as the M5Mk3 has the same sized sensor. Short answer, it doesn't. I assume the Lightroom profiles have some sort of code in them.

Anyway I'll continue playing with DxO PL5 - I noticed the other day that when I export direct to PSE it crashes. I'm not sure why, wondering if I had it set to itff, which I'd tried with Lightroom, but not sure. Might try again today with jpeg just so I can name them.

Once again thanks for all the assistance.
For what it's worth, I think in DxO exporting to 16-bit TIFF full size would give you the most options and would avoid introducing jpeg compression artifacts early in the process. You can then import it into PSE or other software you want to use in the next step (where you can convert it to 8 bits if necessary). For uploading to the forum, I downsize it and convert it to jpeg as the very last step.

One open source editing tool to check out is Agriggio ART, which is a fork of RawTherapee. It's slightly less convoluted to use, and includes masking tools for local editing. It's not quite as easy to use as Lightroom, but it's workable.

Sorry to hear about your headgasket, Rose, those things are a pain to replace. Even in older, simpler engines. We once did the gaskets on my friends old Ford Granada, with it's Cologne V6, and that job took us several nights. And that engine was old school simple... Can't even fathom the pain it must be to perform the same on a modern engine...

Total relief!! Car had service today, no evidence of water in the oil, as the garage attendant said. Woohoo!

Sorry to hear about your headgasket, Rose, those things are a pain to replace. Even in older, simpler engines. We once did the gaskets on my friends old Ford Granada, with it's Cologne V6, and that job took us several nights. And that engine was old school simple... Can't even fathom the pain it must be to perform the same on a modern engine...

Luck is on my side! Took the car in yesterday, and there's no sign of water in the oil. The garage attendant must have made a mistake, thank goodness! The mechanic said he had a really good look and couldn't see anything :)

Back