RAW Processing Resources

I'm running into various lags with some operations with my PC (Intel i7-8700K 6-core/12-thread 3.7 Ghz base speed, C: Samsung 1TB Evo 850 SSD, D: Samsung 1TB EVO 860 SSD). Upgrading to a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD and Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SATA SSD plus new Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3050 Eagle OC 8GB video card, and getting the beast debugged.

I'm running into various lags with some operations with my PC (Intel i7-8700K 6-core/12-thread 3.7 Ghz base speed, C: Samsung 1TB Evo 850 SSD, D: Samsung 1TB EVO 860 SSD). Upgrading to a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD and Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SATA SSD plus new Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3050 Eagle OC 8GB video card, and getting the beast debugged.
Graham, apparently (according to reviews I've read, for what they're worth ...), Intel really got its act back in order with the 12x00 series of CPUs and attendant chip sets ("Alder Lake").

For the 'mundane' things most of us use our computers for - i.e. image editing and general purpose computing - the new Intel 12 series are easily a match for the overclocked AMD Ryzen CPUs, without overclocking the Intel series. They are also a fraction of the price for equivalent performance, and more reliable long term IME.

The Intel CPUs also run cool, without anything other than standard cooling that comes with the chip, IME so far (two weeks in).

Most of the reviews are strongly oriented towards gaming, something I personally couldn't give one hair on a bullock's bum about.

Full specs of my new build are here:

Graham, apparently (according to reviews I've read, for what they're worth ...), Intel really got its act back in order with the 12x00 series of CPUs and attendant chip sets ("Alder Lake").

For the 'mundane' things most of us use our computers for - i.e. image editing and general purpose computing - the new Intel 12 series are easily a match for the overclocked AMD Ryzen CPUs, without overclocking the Intel series. They are also a fraction of the price for equivalent performance, and more reliable long term IME.

The Intel CPUs also run cool, without anything other than standard cooling that comes with the chip, IME so far (two weeks in).

Most of the reviews are strongly oriented towards gaming, something I personally couldn't give one hair on a bullock's bum about.

Full specs of my new build are here:

My CPU is Coffee Lake. It was working great until a couple of months or so back, seemed to sort itself out with a Win 10 update. It then went downhill a short while ago. Here's hoping I come out the other side with the beast working as it was or better.

My CPU is Coffee Lake. It was working great until a couple of months or so back, seemed to sort itself out with a Win 10 update. It then went downhill a short while ago. Here's hoping I come out the other side with the beast working as it was or better.
Graham, that kind of problem can be caused by motherboard cracking. If that's what it is, it's a mongrel to diagnose. Logic only, I'm afraid. i.e. discount all other possible sources of problems (as you are obviously doing), but if it persists, you may be looking at a new motherboard :( . Although it could also be a cooked CPU. Has it ever overheated badly?

You will have to make those assessments once you have done your other upgrades. All the best with your upgrades, and hopefully they will clear any bottlenecks.

I was very careful specifying my new box to make sure that everything was in balance. Seems I was lucky or careful enough, and my new PC doesn't bind anywhere. At least, nothing so far.

Graham, that kind of problem can be caused by motherboard cracking. If that's what it is, it's a mongrel to diagnose. Logic only, I'm afraid. i.e. discount all other possible sources of problems (as you are obviously doing), but if it persists, you may be looking at a new motherboard :( . Although it could also be a cooked CPU. Has it ever overheated badly?

You will have to make those assessments once you have done your other upgrades. All the best with your upgrades, and hopefully they will clear any bottlenecks.

I was very careful specifying my new box to make sure that everything was in balance. Seems I was lucky or careful enough, and my new PC doesn't bind anywhere. At least, nothing so far.
The motherboard is a relatively high end piece, so should be OK. The CPU is running relatively cool and I'm using a water cooled system. It's operating within spec as well.
The tech that's going to be working on it seems to be really competent. I'm hoping he gets everything diagnosed and working properly fairly quickly. I have a ton of work coming up.

Took the box in at 10:30AM and had it back by 4:00PM. It has a new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD on the motherboard as an OS and programs C: drive, a 4TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD as a D: data drive and Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3050 Eagle OC video card. Works much better now! ;)

Took the box in at 10:30AM and had it back by 4:00PM. It has a new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD on the motherboard as an OS and programs C: drive, a 4TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD as a D: data drive and Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3050 Eagle OC video card. Works much better now! ;)
How is it going for you, Graham, now that you have had a few days to put it through its paces?

How is it going for you, Graham, now that you have had a few days to put it through its paces?
@John King , it's pretty good but still not what it was in all respects. Some functions are lightning quick but a few are still a little laggy, though not like before I did the upgrade. I've also unclicked animations when opening... and a few other odds and ends including going to the native Win 10 GUI (still not a big fan). The AI noise reduction in OM Workspace is interesting and I haven't had anything hang up or the like. I still think it's a Windows Update code that has hit me and random others. The good thing is that I have really fast on-motherboard processing, lots of storage and a more than adequate video card for the future 4K monitor.
I have no idea when I'll upgrade to a new monitor. Are there any criteria for life expectancy of monitors? Mine is a Samsung S32D850 2560 x 1440 32" monitor that's about 7 years old.

@John King , it's pretty good but still not what it was in all respects. Some functions are lightning quick but a few are still a little laggy, though not like before I did the upgrade. I've also unclicked animations when opening... and a few other odds and ends including going to the native Win 10 GUI (still not a big fan).
Get rid of all those 'features', Graham. Under "settings", "PC SETTINGS" in the SEARCH BOX search for ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS. Under PERFORMANCE/SETTINGS/VISUAL EFFECTS click on ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE, then APPLY.

Next, click on ADVANCED tab at top, select TOTAL PAGING FILE SIZE FOR ALL DRIVES. If AUTOMATICALLY... is set, click on CUSTOM SIZE. Set INITIAL and MAXIMUM SIZE to the same figure. With 32GB RAM, I have mine set to 8192/8192. This setting depends on your physical memory size and whether your graphics card is using system RAM or not.

Reboot your computer for page file/virtual memory file size to be reset.
The AI noise reduction in OM Workspace is interesting and I haven't had anything hang up or the like. I still think it's a Windows Update code that has hit me and random others. The good thing is that I have really fast on-motherboard processing, lots of storage and a more than adequate video card for the future 4K monitor.
Windows 10 Pro 64 is a dog compared with Windows 7 Pro 64 IMNSHO ...
I have no idea when I'll upgrade to a new monitor. Are there any criteria for life expectancy of monitors?

My two ASUS ProArts are still working fine at well over 7 y.o.
Mine is a Samsung S32D850 2560 x 1440 32" monitor that's about 7 years old.
Mine is a Dell UP2516D, with 14 bit LUT, 12 bit panel and displays 100% aRGB colour space. 2560x1440, 25 inch. Suits me fine. It's about 5-6 y.o.

Get rid of all those 'features', Graham. Under "settings", "PC SETTINGS" in the SEARCH BOX search for ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS. Under PERFORMANCE/SETTINGS/VISUAL EFFECTS click on ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE, then APPLY.

Next, click on ADVANCED tab at top, select TOTAL PAGING FILE SIZE FOR ALL DRIVES. If AUTOMATICALLY... is set, click on CUSTOM SIZE. Set INITIAL and MAXIMUM SIZE to the same figure. With 32GB RAM, I have mine set to 8192/8192. This setting depends on your physical memory size and whether your graphics card is using system RAM or not.

Reboot your computer for page file/virtual memory file size to be reset.

Windows 10 Pro 64 is a dog compared with Windows 7 Pro 64 IMNSHO ...

My two ASUS ProArts are still working fine at well over 7 y.o.

Mine is a Dell UP2516D, with 14 bit LUT, 12 bit panel and displays 100% aRGB colour space. 2560x1440, 25 inch. Suits me fine. It's about 5-6 y.o.
@John King I made the changes you recommended except checked 'smooth edges of screen fonts' again and went paging file size to 4096/4096. It's almost back to what it was in terms of speed with opening speaker on-off/volume adjust and the Start menu. Everything else is eminently usable. MANY THANKS!!
I remember when the first cooling fans were used in the 486 CPU systems. I wonder how fast a Win 10 or 11 system would go into thermal shutdown without forced cooling - 5 minutes, 10 minutes?

@John King I made the changes you recommended except checked 'smooth edges of screen fonts' again and went paging file size to 4096/4096. It's almost back to what it was in terms of speed with opening speaker on-off/volume adjust and the Start menu. Everything else is eminently usable. MANY THANKS!!
I remember when the first cooling fans were used in the 486 CPU systems. I wonder how fast a Win 10 or 11 system would go into thermal shutdown without forced cooling - 5 minutes, 10 minutes?
Good to hear, Graham. It staggers me that Microsoft still do not understand the correct default settings for their own operating system after nearly 30 years.

Also, install CLASSIC SHELL from here:

It allows you to access most of the classic Windows shell features and access methods instead of the mess from Microsoft from Vista onwards, including Control Panel.

All the original code is still there in Windows 10, just that Microsoft locks us out of it in favour of their twee cryptogram driven garbage in both Windows and Office.

I still use Office 2003 Pro, as I consider it to be the last stable version of Office! I own an unlimited licence OEM copy. It works perfectly under Windows 10 Pro 64 ...

BTW, your monitor (actually, graphics card ... ) may need calibrating at that age. If it cannot be properly calibrated, that's when it needs to be replaced and recycled.

Good to hear, Graham. It staggers me that Microsoft still do not understand the correct default settings for their own operating system after nearly 30 years.

Also, install CLASSIC SHELL from here:

It allows you to access most of the classic Windows shell features and access methods instead of the mess from Microsoft from Vista onwards, including Control Panel.

All the original code is still there in Windows 10, just that Microsoft locks us out of it in favour of their twee cryptogram driven garbage in both Windows and Office.

I still use Office 2003 Pro, as I consider it to be the last stable version of Office! I own an unlimited licence OEM copy. It works perfectly under Windows 10 Pro 64 ...

BTW, your monitor (actually, graphics card ... ) may need calibrating at that age. If it cannot be properly calibrated, that's when it needs to be replaced and recycled.
I have a copy of Open Shell_4_4_170 that doesn't seem to be giving me problems at this point. Is Classic Shell more stable, faster, less troublesome etc?
I have a brand new video card, a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3050 Eagle OC 8GB GDDR6 that was just installed. I opened the PC case this afternoon and discovered that I already have 2 Corsair 16GB RAM sticks already installed, not one! I reset the paging file size to 8192/8192. Things are looking up.
I'm mostly pleased that I haven't screwed anything up.

Back