Fuji Raw therapee...any good for x-trans

Ian Knight

Regular
I have just discovered Raw Therapee ...it appears to be comparable with my x20 and x-trans sensor ... Has anyone got any opinions...I get on pretty well with the silkypix raw convertor software...just interested on other peoples experiences with this software compared to acr etc.

Sent from my XT1032 using FujiXspot mobile app

In comparison to DNG files opened in Camera Raw the files and colours seem preferable to my eyes. I have never been impressed by DNG files converted from RAF :).

Sent from my iPad using FujiXspot

That's why it's strongly discouraged to convert RAF (or anything) to DNG. :)

Anyway, since we all need to make our own colors when we work with RAWs, I don't really understand the color argument even for RAFs. At least Adobe offers all Fuji film simulations as presets.

Semion, when I have converted RAF to RAW so I can use Adobe Camera raw to process the files from my X20 I find that the colours don't seem correct, and there is some noise that isn't apparent even at iso 100. If the RAF file is opened up in the supplied SilkyPix raw convertor these things are not apparent.
Recently I have Downloaded and used the Latest version of Raw Therapee, I have been very impressed with the colour rendition and the general of the images.
I have Zoner Studio 16 pro , this converts the RAF files using the Adobe DNG convertor and is based upon DC Raw for the RAW development section. This does give good results despite the traits of the DNG file imposed upon it. I find that using Lightroom has the same presentation as the Elements 10 Camera Raw convertor. Perhaps I just don't like Adobe software!.

I am sure that Rico has good reasons. For not recommending the use of DNG files. I do find that thee seems to be something baked into them that goes against the Fujifilm RAF files. This also applies to the XF1 DNG files too.
Cheers Ian

Sent from my iPad using FujiXspot

Ever since RT updated itself, it does NOT see any files I point it to. Not jpg's or raws. What the hell? Has this happened to anyone else?

Just a first guess, but have you checked that you haven't inadvertently set a filter (in the file browser)...?

Which version are you on, after the update?

I've used a lot RT in the past but never processed a X-Trans raw yet (I suppose the X-Trans support has been added recently. BTW thanks for the info!)). I'm a big fan of DT (darktable) and I always used that with my X-M1. Here it's a nice post about the subject if you're interested. Anyway both are great tools. YMMV.

Sorry, I've forgotten to say that DT isn't available for Windows platform

update: I've given it a try. Really impressive, expecially the Film simulation!!!

Just a first guess, but have you checked that you haven't inadvertently set a filter (in the file browser)...?

Which version are you on, after the update?

I checked the settings first (and then again several more times) and I don't see anything stopping it from finding jpgs. I uploaded some raws too, doesn't see those either. Doesn't matter what folder, won't see ANY jpgs. I use RT Mobile 4.1.22.

But about those settings, where specifically WOULD one set it not to see jpgs? I don't really see a smoking gun setting, so maybe I missed it.

I checked the settings first (and then again several more times) and I don't see anything stopping it from finding jpgs. I uploaded some raws too, doesn't see those either. Doesn't matter what folder, won't see ANY jpgs. I use RT Mobile 4.1.22.

But about those settings, where specifically WOULD one set it not to see jpgs? I don't really see a smoking gun setting, so maybe I missed it.

Truth is... I don't really know:eek:. I was shooting from the hip with that suggestion.

The reason that I made that suggestion is that I do remember once having the same problem with RT. Although I don't understand the reason why, the problem was resolved after I'd been into the browser's filter tab, and messed around - switching various tick boxes on and off ('check boxes' on your side of the Pond, I believe...;)). It might have been a bug in the browser, for instance, that was re-set by my fooling around in the filter tab:confused:.

Might as well try it. Nothing to lose, and - just possibly - something to gain! Good luck...

Back