Re-appraisal of my SIJ - Day 16 entry

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
A constructive comment was made by Landshark on the exposure level of my day 16 entry and I've done some re-processing of the image this morning.

16-1020883.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As submitted

1020883_1.jpg

With reduced exposure (about 1 stop0 and slightly reduced contrast

1020883_v2.jpg

Black and white

Subtle differences and I'd be hard pressed to choose between the reduced exposure colour shot and the black and white, but comments are more than welcome.

Barrie

For me the tweaked-exposure colour shot is the pick. I find it more involving.
I think there's room for manoeuvre in the monochrome version - which is to say that I would process it differently, but then that's about my eye; having said that, it would be interesting to see what that mono version looked like printed at a decent size and mounted on the wall ... I suspect I'd like it just as it was ...

Barrie, I, too, think your second go 'round with the cow she in color looks good. I realize it's difficult because you want to retain that feeling of bright light coming through the opening in the wall, as well as the doorway.

Well, you are the artist so no matter what anyone says about your photograph, it's your call. I know that there've been times that people have made suggestions to me and I haven't agreed with them at all.;)

Well, you are the artist so no matter what anyone says about your photograph, it's your call. I know that there've been times that people have made suggestions to me and I haven't agreed with them at all.;)

BB, I genuinely like the re-processed colour picture better than my submitted attempt. Whilst I wanted to acknowledge the fact that light from the unseen door opening did illuminate the wall and trough in front of me, my processing attempt gave it an unrealistic degree of highlighting. The toned down "new" image is a better reflection of the true conditions. No excuse, but I wasn't totally on top of my game yesterday and a lack of concentration gave the result that was seen in SIJ.
But hey, that's what constructive commenting is all about, making you look again and see if improvements can be made.

Barrie

I find myself going back and reprocessing quite often, and for me the self-imposed decision to upload on the same day as the image is captured means I can rush and not get it quite right (plus I get sick of sitting in front LR) ... I've just spent half an hour uploading, reprocessing, deleting, reuploading and generally faffing about with tonight's SiJ snap ... bah ....

anyway, back to Barrie's image - the reduced exposure version pulls me in more because it is less bright, and at the same time the level of detail/contrast in the hole in the back wall is much greater, which makes the whole image better balanced to my eye ... it is an extremely nice photograph

Paul, your SIJ today was well worth faffing with, you've caught something I saw later in the day but failed to capture during my stroll around, for pleasure since my SIJ was already posted. I was using the same kit as I've been using for the SIJ though, something about being in the groove.

Barrie

PS. There's a fundamental change/update for my photo editor software on offer until the end of the month. I'll probably download it but am reluctant to install it in case it upsets my flow.

Back