Fuji re:xe-1 body and 18-55 lens firmware update

Jenna

Regular
Name
Karen
Hi Rico,

First of all thank you for accepting me to your FujiXspot forum.

I just like to ask if you notice any significant changes (aside from focus peaking) after updating to the latest firmware of the XE-1 body and the 18-55 lens? I know Fuji is focus on stills photography but is there any possibilities that we can produce good video clips like other mirrorless camera brand? Many Thanks.

Jenna

Nope, I am not aware of any significant changes, just the known improvements and additions (as stated in the notes that accompany the upgrade).

If you are doing video with the kit zoom lens and active OIS, please give it a try and report back. This is supposed to be one area that has been enhanced.

Hi Rico,

I am not really into video but it's good to have a little know how on how to do it on our camera. I did a several test on different condition using the 18-55 and still the AF was horrible, it keeps hunting focus! The video color/images XE-1 produces was outstanding! XE-1 will be a great overall camera if it only had a good AF on its video setting. How i wish Fuji could come out with a firmware that could solve this problem. The mirrorless camera or hybrid photography is growing fast, the other camera brands out there are now catching up with Fuji's good quality stills but Fuji is lagging behind with the other mirrorless cameras' video features.

Please understand that this is only a beginners/newbie test! Hope others with more experiences could also come out with some reports. Thank you very much.

Jenna

I am not aware of any professionals using autofocus in video production. AFAIK, everything was, is and probably will be manual focus in this area for the foreseeable future. That's why pretty much all lenses used for professional video and movie production are MF, too. Of course, there are accessories such as follow-focus devices that can make your life easier, not to mention experts called "focus pullers" who's sole job is keeping the image in focus.

So personally, I would not use AF in video, anyway. That said, those who do are obviously asking for a better AF implementation. I doubt that the CDAF in expensive DSLRs used for video is better (faster, less hunting) than the AF of current mirrorless system cameras, though. Obviously, the PDAF won't work in DSLRs during live view video recording, as the mirror will be up. Some camera models with MFT sensors are known for their good video performance (like Panasonic cameras), so it might be worth having a look at those models if video is important to you. Fujifilm and video simply isn't state of the art, that's for sure.

Hi Rico,

Please don't get me wrong that I am into video or something. My knowhow in photography is very limited that is why I tested the camera's video feature in AF only. I just did a little test and report my findings after reading your posting "If you are doing video with the kit zoom lens and active OIS, please give it a try and report back. This is supposed to be one area that has been enhanced." I know where Fuji is good at, I am happy and satisfied with what I'm getting with my XE-1. It just so happened that our camera has this video feature and it is good to know how to use it when the situations calls for it.

Jenna

Video has always been a sore spot in Fuji cameras. While the feature is being improved with time, I can't see Fuji catching up or overtaking current leaders in this field. This could change when Fujifilm cooperates with Panasonic building an organic sensor. Panasonic may share their video codecs as part of an agreement.

Back